Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Pretzeldude
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ted Downs

Hardware req advice for v6 backup proxy server (vCPU count)

Post by Pretzeldude »

Hello,

I've setup a new Veeam server as a VM (VMWare Esxi) with 8GB RAM and 2 vCPUs. Windows 2008 R2 Standard.

I've noticed that when I run backup jobs (even though they are successful) that the veeam agent is maxing out the CPU until the job finishes. The machine hardly responds to anything else until the job is done.

Any advice? Is this a bug or have I not applied enough resources for a backup server?

Thanks,
Ted
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Hardware req advice for v6 server

Post by foggy »

Ted, do you have your Veeam B&R server used as a backup proxy for your jobs? Actually, CPU saturation is quite normal in the case where the source storage performance allows very fast data retrieval (please look at this topic for some explanations). You could add more vCPUs to this VM to handle the load.
Pretzeldude
Novice
Full Name: Ted Downs

Post by Pretzeldude »

That was helpful. Thanks. I am using the B&R server as the proxy at this point. My jobs seem to be getting about 87MB/s throughput and the log says that the bottleneck is "source".
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

So, how much CPU resources would you expect deduplication and compression of 87MB of data each second to take? This is pretty massive data stream, and compression is very CPU heavy task. Try simply zipping some big file (such as ISO) with Windows Explorer on the same server, and watch the CPU load.

As per our system requirements, 2 vCPU is a minimum. I always recommend going with at least 4 vCPUs with fast backup infrastructure.

Thanks!
stevenrodenburg1
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Steven Rodenburg

Post by stevenrodenburg1 »

Pretzeldude wrote:My jobs seem to be getting about 87MB/s throughput and the log says that the bottleneck is "source".
I get that in our v6 Lab environment as well. Always "source" as the black sheep :-)
The Proxies now has 4 dedicated vCPU's (Xeon E3-1270 QC, one of the fastest per-core performing Xeons at the moment) but the bottleneck is still "source". Speeds hover between 85 and 90MB/s for a full backup.
Veeam just has an insatiable hunger. It always want more more more! :twisted:

All four CPU's hit the ceiling during jobs. In Virtual appliance mode, one must watch out for situations where the Veeam virtual appliance VM's monopolize a hypervisor with their greed :lol:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Hardware req advice for v6 backup proxy server (vCPU cou

Post by Gostev »

Upgrade to vSphere 5 and go 8 vCPU for proxy VM, this will satisfy Veeam's hunger ;)

By the way, for those running jobs during production hours - remember that you can always reduce resource allocation for backup proxy VM to make sure other VMs on the same host are not affected by the "noisy neighbor".
bsousapt
Novice
Full Name: Bruno Sousa

Post by bsousapt »

Pretzeldude wrote:Hello,

I've setup a new Veeam server as a VM (VMWare Esxi) with 8GB RAM and 2 vCPUs. Windows 2008 R2 Standard.

I've noticed that when I run backup jobs (even though they are successful) that the veeam agent is maxing out the CPU until the job finishes. The machine hardly responds to anything else until the job is done.

Any advice? Is this a bug or have I not applied enough resources for a backup server?

Thanks,
Ted

You could try to play around with compression levels and/or disable deduplication.
Like always in order to get some you will lose some, akA trade-offs :)

Bruno
gvinpin
Enthusiast

Post by gvinpin »

All depends if you are doing de-duplication and compression or not.
My v6 proxy server using 8GB SAN to access VM's and 10GB LAN to deposit data to Data Domain appliance.
CPU is about 1-2% utilisation on it, with 4 jobs running at the same time.
I am not using any Veeam compression or de-duplication, leaving the job to Data Domain appliance.
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

100% CPU utilization on proxy

Post by Moebius »

[merged]

I just deployed a VBR proxy on a remote branch office datacenter. The datacenter consists in a single ESXi host with local storage. The remote backup repository is a Synology DS412+ NAS configured as a single iSCSI LUN. The VBR proxy is a Windows 2008 R2 vm configured with 2 vCPU and 4GB vRAM.

The backup jobs ran flawlessly with a decent throughput (50 MB/s for the full backups). However, I was suprised seeing the CPUs stuck to 100% for the whole job run. These were full jobs, so there was no CPU load due to the synthetic building phase.
I have never seen a similar behavior on the main Veeam server (console and proxy). The remote proxy has nothing installed on: it's just a plain vanilla Windows with only the proxy service deployed by the Veeam server.
Is such a high CPU utilization to be expected for a VBR proxy?
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Post by Moebius »

Thanks for moving my post to this existing thread, I hadn't noticed it.
I made a typo in my post. Actually the proxy has 4 vCPU and not 2. However, the veeam agent is maxing them out.
It makes sense that deduplication and compression take a heavy toll on the cpu's when the data flow from the source is good. Out of curiosity, I will run a test job with no compression and no dedupe.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, the more CPU resources you have on your proxy server, the more concurrent jobs you will be able to run via this proxy server, reducing the compression level will also lower the CPU load on this proxy.