Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bkelsch
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: J. Bryan Kelsch

File-to-tape to VTL

Post by bkelsch »

OK, here it goes.
My plan is to setup a Qudastor VTL with a NEO (overland) tape library FCP attached.

My question (fear) is about exporting tapes. When you do a FILE to VTL backup with VEEAM, does VEEAM keep the tape/object in the database? If I export the Vtape out of the VTL to gain space, will VEEAM remember the tape number if I need to restore? I am assuming that if I export V to Physical tape I will maintain the same serial number on the tape. So the ultimate question is: Will VEEAM tell me "I need tape #xxxx" inserted into the library? If I need a single file or directory does VEEAM keep a record of where (which tape) it is?

Thank you in advance.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2888 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: File-to-tape to VTL

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
file-to-tape keeps all files in the SQL database, yes. That's why you probably want to use a SQL standard edition or better instead of the built-in SQL Express.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 - yes, there is the "required tapes" column.

The main question is the amount and size of files you try to protect with that method.

Best regards,
Hannes

PS: I split your question away from the other topic, as it was about something else
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: File-to-tape to VTL

Post by Dima P. »

To make sure we are all on the same page: when you tape out with Veeam B&R to a VTL and then VTL will write on it's own to the physical tape media, Veeam B&R will show/requires tapes as they are listed/named/presented in VTL.

Say, VTL emulated media is named VTL001, the real tape media behind it is LTO009. Veeam B&R will request VTL001 when you will perform recovery.