Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
StevenMeier
Enthusiast
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Steven Meier

CDP I/O Filter error

Post by StevenMeier »

Trying to Install the CDP I/O FIlter and get this error.

Code: Select all

13/04/2021 1:45:18 PM Error    Failed to perform CDP components deployment Error: Permission to perform this operation was denied.
Can't locate the Permissisons needed on vmware (I assume ) to install the cdp filter.

I use the same account to backup and restore everything fine

Cheers
Steve
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: CDP I/O Filter error

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
did you add "Host.Configuration.Query patch" (installation) and "Host.Configuration.Maintenance" (uninstall) permissions?

If VCenter permissions are fine, then then sounds like a technical issue. Please provide a support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic.

Best regards,
Hannes

PS: support can only help if you upload logs https://www.veeam.com/kb1832
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Can you confirm that the given account has all permissions set in accordance with this guide? Especially, Host.Config.AdvancedConfig, Host.Config.Patch and Host.Config.Maintenance ones? Thanks!
StevenMeier
Enthusiast

Post by StevenMeier »

Thanks for the link I will check that today and post back.
StevenMeier
Enthusiast

Post by StevenMeier »

What was missing that I added.
Host-> Configuration
-Advanced Settings
-Maintenance
-Query Patch
Virtual Machine->edit inventory
-create from existing

Below was all ready selected
Host.Config.AdvancedConfig maps to "advanced Settings"
Host.Config.Patch maps to "Query Patch"
Host.Config.Maintenance maps to "maintenance"

Ran the I/O filter install again again and it succeeded.

Thanks for that updated link
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome.

VM backup and restore require mostly permissions to create and edit Virtual Machine, while I/O filter installation needs permissions to update host configuration - these are two different categories, that's why you were not able to install filter, even though backup and restore were working fine.

Glad to hear the issue has been solved and you're up and running now.

Thanks!
joebranca
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Brancaleone

Post by joebranca »

Curiously, I was able to install I/O filters on the target cluster, but on the source cluster the install failed with two errors:

"Error Validating I/O filter version installed on cluster: OIT-EG... Error: I/O filter installed on cluster OIT-EG is outdated"
"Error Failed to install I/O filters: Failed to validate the version of I/O filter installed on cluster: OIT-EG"

So I'm wondering, what does this mean - "failed to validate" the I/O filter version, and/or the version is "outdated"? It's never been installed on the cluster before, and failed to validate shouldn't be a permission issue since I'm installing in two clusters under the same vcenter using admin level credentials.

Additionally, there is no option to re attempt I/O filter install, only uninstall.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello Joe,
That sounds like a technical issue. Please provide a support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click Post Reply.

Without case number, the topic will eventually be
deleted by moderators

You can try just going through the wizard again. There are situations where that fixes issues.

Best regards,
Hannes

PS: support can only help if you upload logs https://www.veeam.com/kb1832
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Additionally, there is no option to re attempt I/O filter install, only uninstall.
As Hannes' mentioned, going through the I/O filter wizard again should fix the issue. If that does not help, reach our support team for further assistance. Thanks!
joebranca
Enthusiast

Post by joebranca »

I have a case open Case # 04764997 and its not looking good to get out of this pickle. I had selected "Uninstall I/O filters" and Veeam began putting multiple hosts into Maintenance Mode, which was an unexpected dillema as multiple other hosts were throwing critical memory alerts, and this is our massive main production cluster : ( I had to manually go in and exit Maintenance Mode on each host as it was happening since I was not confident about what was going on.

I provided the logs to the case and I guess it looks like we have to schedule uninstalling the filters now, but I'd still like to know what to expect with the maintenance mode operations. If there's a way to manually uninstall the filters on each host instead, then we can control which hosts go into Maintenance Mode when.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You can uninstall I/O filter from the specific cluster only using the approach described here (last paragraph). Or you are looking for a way to do this within vSphere UI? Thanks!
joebranca
Enthusiast

Post by joebranca »

Thanks for that, although it appears the doc gives instructions for two methods of uninstalling filters at a cluster level and not at an individual host level correct? I am still nervous about the cluster level uninstall, if from what i saw before the behavior includes multiple hosts going into maintenance mode. My guess is my only alternative is logging into each ESX host CLI and running uninstall commands, though that would require some guidance as well.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Your understanding is correct. If you feel a bit unsure, you might want to continue working with the support team and let them guide you through this process. If the existing case has been closed already, feel free to create new one. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

joebranca wrote: Apr 24, 2021 2:57 amI had selected "Uninstall I/O filters" and Veeam began putting multiple hosts into Maintenance Mode
Not Veeam actually, this is just how the vSphere package manager works... we merely issue an vSphere API request to remove our driver, the rest is handled by vSphere automatically including putting hosts into Maintenance Mode one by one to uninstall the package (Veeam has no control over this process, just like when we create/remove VM snapshots for example).