Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
srpintar
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Pintar

Month-End

Post by srpintar »

I recently upgraded from Veeam 10 to Veeam 11. One feature that has been changed is the Month-End processing within the GFS feature. In version 9.5 and 10 I was able to select a specific day to process my Month-End backups. I used to use the last Friday of each month to save my Month-End backups for ISO and legal reasons. In Veeam 11, I can only select either the First week or last week. If you use the first week, the Month-end will run between the 1st or 7th of the month. The last week processing will run between the 25th through 31st.

Can the feature, allowing me to select a specific day, be brought back in a future update of Veeam 11?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Month-End

Post by foggy »

Hi Steve, I guess you're talking about backup copy jobs as for those we have changed the GFS mechanism to make it similar to the one used for primary backup jobs. Please note that if the weekly schedule is enabled, Veeam B&R will just use it and add a monthly flag to the weekly backup, so this allows you to control the exact day of the week when the full is created, similar to what you did in previous versions.
fcompaired
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Federico Compaired

[MERGED] V11 new GFS settings

Post by fcompaired »

Hello,

We recently upgraded to V11 and found that the option for picking a specific day of the month for creating monthly savepoints has changed to first or last weekly backup, which doesn't meed our archive backup retention.
We need to save a full backup on last day of the month and a yearly the last day of the year, and I don't see a straightforward way of doing this with the new approach. Anyone experiencing the same?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Federico, agree, there's no ability to specify the last or any particular day of the month exactly. You can just select the last week and some particular day of the week, which will be close to the month-end, but not exactly the last day of the month.
fcompaired
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Federico Compaired

Post by fcompaired »

This forces us to edit every month the day in which weekly backup on the GFS chain is created in order to match last day of month. I don't see other way.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Another (not much more convenient option though) would be to use the backup export functionality on the desired day. You will have to handle retention for these backups manually though (or script it some way).
TimWalker
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Walker

Post by TimWalker »

This just bit me as our secondary store was set so that full monthly backups were staggered across the month so that deduplication had time to do it's thing each time a full backup ran - so some servers full backup week 1, some week 2, some week 3, some week 4.... now we can only choose the first and last week for these monthlies to run.

This has effectively doubled the amount of free space that we need to have on the backup partition. Rather far from ideal.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Tim, thanks for the feedback. As a sort of a workaround, you can play with the days of the week - set different days for different jobs to stagger them a bit (e.g. Monday of the first week for one job and Sunday of the same first week for another).