Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
SSowa
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Scott Sowa

Tape Job keeps drive resources locked when no longer needed

Post by SSowa »

Support Case #04791288

We split up our backup jobs and stagger them throughout the night. After each job is run, we have secondary processing to copy the backup to tape

Our Tape Library has 2 drives. We have set up parallel processing on the media pools, and set the option for parallel processing in each job stream.

Here is where the problem lies... If a Copy to Tape job is running that will copy 2 servers to tape, each server backup gets assigned 1 tape drive. If 1 server finishes, the drive remains locked to the job, but that drive is also unused until the job fully completes.

If another job needs to write to tape, it cannot grab this now unused resource until the first job completes fully

Is there a way to have Veeam free up the drive resource when it is not needed?

What are the best practices to using 1 library for several copy to tape jobs? We don't want to slow down the copy to tape by limiting the number of drives available, we just want Veeam to recognize that the second drive is no longer needed for the first job and can allocate the drive to another job
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tape Job keeps drive resources locked when no longer needed

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Scott,

Thanks for sharing the case, we will investigate this behavior with RnD folks. Can you please upload the logs to the case, looks like we got nothing to look at :wink:
SSowa
Influencer

Post by SSowa »

I have uploaded the logs of our tape proxy that experienced the issue a couple nights ago
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Scott,

We need full Veeam B&R log bundle (not only tape proxy logs). Support folks will get in touch with you to provide assistance in collecting the needed information. Stay tuned.
SSowa
Influencer

Post by SSowa » 1 person likes this post

I uploaded a full log.

To be clear, the previous log was the tape proxy and the backup and replication server. I was attempting to limit the amounts that would have to be culled through
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Scott,

@SSowa We've tried to confirm parallel processing the issue in the lab with latest v11 cp2 but no luck, folks were not able to indicate any signs of this issue via the logs as well. Can you please try to reproduce this behavior again (ideally with v11 plus latest cumulative patch installed)? In case you see the same behavior please note the time stamp, job name and devices in use (the screenshots will help too) and share all that with me. You can ping me directly via PM or via support team what works the best. Thank you in advance!