Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 388 times

I love the new verify feature - but i have a question

Post by mkretzer »

Hi,

we are in the process of bringing a new tape library into production. Previously we just trusted a new device to be "good" as restoring all our production tapes would need 100 TB avaiable somewhere.

With the feature i found out that the new library seems to have one defective drive - fresh tapes, only written once show CRC errors every 15 TB or so, only on one of the drives. I would have never found this so easily without the verification.

The one thing i wonder is why only one drive of the tape library is used when multiple tapes are selected...

Markus
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: I love the new verify feature - but i have a question

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi mkretzer

Thanks for warm feedback, glad you liked the feature!
As for the drive usage - verification job picks a drive to use at start and sticks to it by design. If you want to utilize several drives, just start several verifications in parallel!

/Cheers!
Moopere
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Moopere

Post by Moopere »

mkretzer wrote: Apr 24, 2021 9:29 am With the feature i found out that the new library seems to have one defective drive - fresh tapes, only written once show CRC errors every 15 TB or so, only on one of the drives. I would have never found this so easily without the verification.
Mmm. Modern tape drives almost always have a write then verify internal to their own mechanism, which should then be reported back to the software. I would expect a bad drive to show up even without external verification. Are you sure there isn't some data corruption going on somewhere or somehow in the data path from the drive back to the backup machine?
mkretzer
Veeam Legend

Post by mkretzer »

Might be. The drive also showed the error ("i can no longer read from this tape") so it is unlikely. The FC adapter is directly connected so the path is not that long.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Markus,

Thanks for the feedback! Mind me asking what tape drive/library model you are installing?
mkretzer
Veeam Legend

Post by mkretzer »

Quantum i3 with LTO8
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks! Have not heard anything bad related to this device from support or RnD, so might be a hardware issue. Does Quantum provide any drive diagnostic tools to identify the drive misbehavior?
mkretzer
Veeam Legend

Post by mkretzer »

We got a new drive from them. Testing now...