Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jhdryden
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John Dryden

Network traffic throttling rules do not apply

Post by jhdryden »

Upgraded v5 backup server. Deployed proxy at DR site. I've setup a throttling rule for anytime with a 1Mbps limit, but it's not having any effect and new initial replication job is consuming all bandwidth available and job is running at 515KB/s. I've got Riverbeds optimizing to 76% after changing to no compression and LAN. Any ideas how I can get throttling to work please?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: V6 Traffic throttling

Post by Gostev »

Most likely, you did not setup the rule correctly. We have been using throttling in our production deployment, and it works correctly. Please contact our support for assistance - they will be able to see what's wrong from the logs.
jhdryden
Novice
Full Name: John Dryden

Re: V6 Traffic throttling

Post by jhdryden »

Thanks. I ended up rebooting the server and it all started working
rvopat
Influencer

[MERGED] Re: v6 WAN Replication - Wow!

Post by rvopat »

We have now upgraded to version 6 and it is running on our windows 2008 r2 vm server in our DR site

We have 1 proxy setup on our production site and it is a windows 2008 r2 vm as well

Our production network is 192.168.10.x

Our DR network is 192.168.2.x

I setup a network traffic filter to only use 3 mbps any time with the source ip being production network and the Target being DR network.

It is currently using all 6 mbps of our pipe, what is not configured correctly about my traffic filter?

With the Veeam6 server being in the DR site do i need to have the traffic throttle going from DR to the production site as well? (this doesnt make much sense to me sense we arent sending traffic back to the production site)
stevewalker
Influencer
Full Name: Steve Walker

[MERGED] When do throttling rules get applied in V6?

Post by stevewalker »

Hi,

I have a 10Mbit/s line between our head office and DR site, with replication running between them successfully on V5. Following our upgrade to V6 I recreated the replication job from scratch and chose an 8Mbit/s throttling rule however this seems to be using the whole of the network bandwidth between the sites (105% according to our WAN provider). Since our initial replication was running over into the business day I modified the throttling rule to only use 5 Mbit/s, however it does not seem to have taken effect.

Will the throttling rules only be consulted when the job starts, or is it a dynamic feature?

I also would like to get clarification that 'Mbps' in Veeam throttling interface means 'megabits per second', is this the case?

Thanks,
Steve
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: v6 traffic throttling does not apply

Post by foggy »

Steve, 'Mbps' indeed stands for 'megabits per second'.
stevewalker
Influencer

Post by stevewalker »

Thanks, as expected - however I have now read through most of the user guide and still can't seem to find out if the throttle setting is set dynamically or only at the beginning of a job? At present my VM replication is only 40% and likely to continue for a couple of days.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi Steve, please clarify your question - or better yet, give a specific example - since I am not sure what you mean by throttling being dynamic versus "at the beginning of job only". Thanks.
stevewalker
Influencer

Post by stevewalker »

OK, i'll try again. If I set throttling to 8Mbit/s before the job starts, and then during the job I receive reports of poor performance from users so I modify the throttling limit to 5Mbit/s, when is the new throttling limit applied?

Is it immediate; or when the next VM within the job starts processing, or when the next job starts processing?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I believe it is immediate, at least as you noticed we support different throttling levels depending on the time of the day. I can double check with R&D next week if you'd like. Thanks.
deniZ
Novice
Full Name: ZUNO WINTEL

[MERGED] traffic throttling does not work :(

Post by deniZ »

hi guys,

I am curious about traffic throttling in new Veeam Backup & Recovery 6.0 64-bit version.

I have 2 locations - location A (A IP pool) and location B (B IP pool)

I have Veeam B&R installed on both datacenters.

Now the problem is:

I am replicating VMs on loc. B from loc. A (replicas of loc. A are stored on loc. B)
- traffic throttling is set for IPs - source (loc. A) to destination (loc. B) - IP pools

I am replicating VMs on loc. A from loc. B (replicas of loc. B are stored on loc. A)
- traffic throttling is set for IPs - source (loc. B) to destination (loc. A) - IP pools

the problem is, that traffic throttling is not working - few servers are replicated on full network speed - which is overwhelming the routers ...

can somebody help me out please ?

Thanks.

PS: using Veeam B&R 6.0 64-bit & vCenter 4
LucW
Novice
Full Name: Luc Willems

Post by LucW »

i'm also having issues with network throttling that it is not working for me.
i'm running backups from a windows 2003 backup server ( 10.0.6.x addres) to a linux server (10.0.3.x address) , and have network throttling active from
10.0.6.x -> 10.0.3.x and from 10.0.3.x -> 10.0.6.x. first is set to 1 Mbits seconds to 2 Mbits. also the Firewall between this 2 networks has a QoS rule to limit
at 10 Mbit. the max speed is limited to 100Mbit

i monitor the network traffic, on the linux server, and i don't see 1 or 2 Mbit but 10 Mbit
So no traffic throttle on Veeam but the firewall is limiting the speed.

i also noted that the actual backup stream of data is running on a connection that has been setup from the Linux backup agent to the Windows Backup proxy.
this was a bit of a surprise , and bitten me he first time because i was not expecting the linux backup agent to create connections back.
this also makes it a bit hard to run backups to a target server behind a NAT firewall with this addiotional connections :-( , this causes same kind of firewall issues like FTP like file transfer.

i tried rebooting both servers (linux/windows) but no effect.
so no i'm testing with Qos rules set by firewall.

luc

i have 2 locations , and
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi Luc, feel free to open a support case and our support will verify through the logs why throttling rules do not apply. Most likely, you simply have something misconfigured as there are no known issues with this functionality to date. Thanks!
deniZ
Novice

Post by deniZ »

Gostev :) I posted the same issue like LucW ... it looks like it does not work in general ... or do we just have good luck with it ? :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Denis, do you have an opened support case, so that we could look into your debug logs?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Denis, there are no known issues with the traffic throttling at this time. Reading through my very first post above, we use traffic throttling ourselves in our production environment. Thanks.
deniZ
Novice

Post by deniZ »

guys, I've submitted a tech case but unfortunately, I cannot send the logs as I am using Veeam in bank environment and logs can contain sensitive data so it's against security rules to send them :( so I have to wait for somebody with similar problem :(
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Typically, customers with similar security requirements just do search/replace on logs to remove all server names and other sensitive information. You may want to consider doing the same.
deniZ
Novice

Post by deniZ »

I see guys, that u have released new patch (ftp://sup-fixes-6.0.0.158.hf1:BuA6*6Jt@ ... .veeam.com), but it looks like the link is expired or ftp server cannot authorize users anymore, can somebody confirm ?

thanks a lot ...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It works for me...try using another ISP to download the patch.
deniZ
Novice

Post by deniZ »

works like charm :) thanks guys, I will try to install it tomorrow and see if throttling won't start working finally :)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Denis, though it is recommended to apply the patch, it does not address throttling functionality issues (as we currently do not have any). Please continue to work with support providing them the logs after removing all the sensitive data from them. Thanks.
deniZ
Novice

Post by deniZ »

guys ... I've generated logs yesterday - it was something around 300MBytes (compressed), so I suggest this:

1. is there a way, how to erase all the logs to have clear way prepared ?? (I have 8 ESXi)
2. I will start one job, then generate the logs (I bet it will be much much lower size)
3. I will examine the logs and send them to you

thanks for all your effort
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Denis, you can open the logs folder on all involved servers (see the User Guide p.206 for information on logs folders location) and delete all the log files. Then reproduce the issue and provide the new logs. Thanks.
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Post by Ben Milligan »

I wanted to update this thread with some of my findings on this behavior.

The problem I have seen is not the application of Veeam throttling rule not taking effect, it is actually inaccuracies of the reported throughput on the router which the measurement was taken. It would be best to measure on the two proxies, end to end, using a tool like Wireshark, relying on two ends of the channel rather than the router in between.
deniZ
Novice

Post by deniZ »

forgot to mention that Veeam Server is a physical server, backup proxy is also placed there.

I was reading that VMWare tools should be installed otherwise VMWare Backup Proxy will not work, therefore no throttling will be in place

is there also solution for that one ?

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There is no such requirement for VMware Backup Proxy. As to the logs, please contact our support team and let them assist you with logs collection.
joemagjr
Influencer
Full Name: joemagjr

[MERGED] Bandwidth Throttle

Post by joemagjr »

I am having an issue with the bandwidth throttle feature working with my configured settings. I can easily monitor the traffic based on solarwinds traffic charts and Blue Coats packet shaper traffic management. So I am sure that my rules set for the proxy (global setting) are not being applied properly or I mis-understand the settings.

During business hours I set the throttle to only use 1meg (only have a 3meg pipe) although I leave the multi connection option enabled. When I run the job during business hours, it uses 2meg and then even spikes over that sometimes. Also, when I run the job after hours, my traffic patterns mimic what occurs during the day.

I have my source IP range set to the home quarters (hq) ips address ranges where the vm's reside and I have the target Ip ranges set to the destination subnet at the DR location. I have a dedicated proxy at the DR site that process's the replication jobs (a vm) on that end and a proxy in HQ , also a vm.

Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance
pcmmitham
Influencer
Full Name: Pierre Mitham

[MERGED] Veeam bandwidth throttling

Post by pcmmitham »

Has anyone had any success getting bandwidth throttling to work in veeam B&R v6? We've turned it on (trying to resolve replicatin issues between sites, so far our failure rate is above 60%). We've throttled down between the 2 sites all the way down to 3mbps. (the pipes are 10mbps). But throttling seems to have no actual effect. We still see traffic reach 11mbps before the replication fails, (I'll post pics of the traffic maps later). Right now it looks like this feature in veeam doesn't really do anything. We've even rebooted the server just to make sure that wasn't the issue.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

If you have just enabled it, try rebooting the backup server as suggested in the first post. Verify that you have the backup proxy installed in the DR site. Try selecting both source and target proxy servers explicitly in the replication job settings to make sure the job does not auto-pick incorrect proxy (I've seen cases when the job was picking the same proxy as both source and target proxy, because other were unavailable). Double-check if actual throttling configuration is correct. If nothing helps, please open a support case and we will assist you over the webex.