Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mroof
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Morey Roof

Strange Error after upgrading to v6

Post by mroof »

Hi Everyone,

Things were working just perfectly with v5 but now after my upgrade I'm getting a strange error on about 1/3 of VMs. "Error: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 1, position 8." I can't seem to figure out what in the heck is causing this one and I haven't heard back from support (ID#5159844) yet so I was hoping someone on the forum just might know what is going on.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Strange Error after upgrading to v6

Post by Gostev »

Hi, I can confirm that this has not been reported yet. But I can suspect this to be an upgrade-related bug. Thanks.
mroof
Novice

Post by mroof »

I saw another post about this on when I Googled it in the Veeam forum but now when you click on it the topic is gone. Any idea what happened to the other posts?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

It must have been hit by one of 4 bullets from Missing your post? sticky topic. By the way, please edit your original post to include support case ID before more evil moderator shows up ;)
mroof
Novice

Post by mroof »

After working on this issue some more it looks like this is related to how Veeam skips swap space used inside the virtual machine. I noticed that if I watched the trouble VM while Veeam is trying to backup it up it always stops sort of backing up the entire HDD and then when it lists the swap space it skipped the totals don't match. However, on the windows VM's where it does work the totals do match correctly for the space used.

So, far I have removed the pagefiles with the system control panel and then recreated them but at the moment it hasn't helped. I will keep trying on finding a solution. If anyone else finds one before please post it.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Don't dig towards Windows page file - to the best I know, the error above is clearly unrelated. Try to create new job and see if it helps.
mroof
Novice

Post by mroof »

Did that already. Tried to create a new only for one troubled VM and I get the same error.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK, then most likely the issue sits in actual configuration database that was brought over from v5...
mroof
Novice

Post by mroof »

Okay, I found the problem!

For me it was because I had a datastore whose name had a "&" in it. Ie, "Disk & Other data Storage". When Veeam would backup the disk it would write everything and then make an xml call. The string it would try to store looked like "[Disk & Other...." and position 8 is just after the "&". So, I bet that even though VMWare escapes such characters just fine there is a spot in Veeam where they are not checked.

For others that are getting a similar issue try removing any special characters you might have used in the names of datastores (maybe even VM names) and see if it goes away. If does please report it so that support can let the engineers know at some point so it gets fixed.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Morey, non-latin characters are not supported in the product’s installation path; in the backup target path and file names etc. as per our Release Notes document.

Thank you for posting the resolution!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, but Morey is talking about datastore name. I think this is a bug.
mchapman
Novice
Full Name: MARK CHAPMAN

Post by mchapman »

I concur we changed our datastore name to NOT include the ampersand and the jobs we were experiencing the issue with completed without an issue