Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jake1829
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Suresh Kuttan

V6 Design Questions

Post by jake1829 »

Hi there

Some quick questions with Veeam 6

We currently have Veeam 5 installed that is running our backups and replication
With Veeam 5, we had a Veeam 5 backup server in a VM at Production site doing the backups to local , and another veeam 5 backup server VM on our DR site doing a pull replication and this is working fine

What are the issues/performance/pitfalls if i remove the backup console at production, upgrade the backup server at DR and configure a new backup job and backup repository (locally at production site) and only have veeam 6 proxies on our production site.

From my understanding of the Veeam 6 proxies,

the proxies will be doing all the work and the console ( at DR ) is basically a reporter - is this right?>
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: V6 Design Questions

Post by foggy »

Suresh, such upgrade procedure will be fine for your local backups. But to effectively replicate VMs to DR, you should also deploy at least one backup proxy in the remote site. Please address the deployment chapter in our user guide. Thanks.
jake1829
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Suresh Kuttan

Post by jake1829 »

Doesn't the Veeam server at DR becomes a proxy when it gets upgraded to V6 ?

Just want to confirm if i make our DR site veeam server basically in charge of all the backups & replication jobs for our production & DR infrastructure and have only proxy servers at my production site i wont have any issues / lose functionality of Veeam

thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Sure, you can use the default proxy created during Veeam B&R installation. Just wanted to pay your attention at the target-side proxy as initially you stated that you are going to "only have veeam 6 proxies on our production site".