Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
JoeIanni
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Joseph Ianni

How to hide certain target network in v6

Post by JoeIanni »

Hi,

Is it possible to hide certain target networks in the version 6. I have managed to hide datastores, folders and resource pools but having difficult in hiding selective VMkernel Ports and Virtual Machine Port Groups. Even though I created a no access permissions for certain networks in vCentre located in Inventory > Network > I am still manage to see the entire network list. It appears to be grabbing the list from the servers directly, where I don't believe I can set the permissions.

Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Joe
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: How to hide certain target network in v6

Post by Gostev »

Hi Joe, v6 does not provide functionality to "hide" any object types you have mentioned above, so I am not even sure what you are talking about? Thanks.
JoeIanni
Influencer

Post by JoeIanni »

Considering the way v6 works now I would redesign the environment for replication, but since we have a stable process in place I want to maintain it for the short term with the aim of moving towards a better solution (we have deployed proxies which have improved times greatly). Currently we have various branches that replicate back to a DR (vsphere cluster), the local branch admin has full access to the Veeam servers at each branch. We have security sectioned this previously by a matter of lack of features in v5. No resource pool, folders or networks to choose from, the only thing was the datastore, which we have been able secure using permissions in the VI client on vCenter. When selecting a datastore to replicate too, it would only present the allocated storage and not all storage from the DR Cluster.

Now with v6 we have the ability to show the additional resources I would still like to present only what is required to these branches. I have been successful in setting permissions for RP, and folders but not for Networks. Again, all these were set in vCenter. Unfortunately networks permissions does not apply to veeam in this case. as indicated previously, in the replication job when I select network mapping and browse Target Mapping, it will show all network list including iSCSI. I want the ability to only show specific networks assigned to the branch office and nothing more. I understand there are no features in Veeam to hide this but I was hoping there is a work around to accomplish this in VMware like I have done for the datastore, RP and folders.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Joe
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Oh, I see - thanks for the explanation. I will ask around and see if anyone can suggest anything.
stevenrodenburg1
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Steven Rodenburg

Post by stevenrodenburg1 »

What JoeIanni is basically asking for is "Role Based Access Control" within Veeam B&R itself. For objects and them being Context- / Location-aware.

I would like to see User-based RBAC for enterprises where the Backup-team consists of serveral people. When admins are responsible for specific virtualised servers, they can only work within their scope thanks to vCenter RBAC.
It would be good if this self-responsibility and supportability extends to them making their own backup-schedules and do restores etc. This requires RBAC in Veeam.
JoeIanni
Influencer

Post by JoeIanni »

Hi Gostev,

Is there any workaround to this?

Regards,
Joe
richlane79
Novice

Post by richlane79 »

I would also like see this RBAC structure, particularly in the Enterpsie Manager file restore ability.

Currently any File Restore Operator has the ability to browse the files of any protected server, and either download or restore them to the server.

While this is techinically a great feature, we can't use it extensively because these operators cannot be restricted to certain servers.