Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
TheWaterbug
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Steven Kan

There is not enough space on the disk, despite 13 TB free

Post by TheWaterbug »

Case # 04886640.

Backup3 is my Veeam 9.5 Update 4 server.

I am trying to back up a Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials box (BackupServer) to a repository on Backup4.

BackupServer has a StorageSpace that is 5.5 TB total, of which 1.6 TB is used.

Backup4 has a 4-disk StorageSpace, NTFS, with 13.2 TB free. This was specified as the volume for the Repository that I created on Backup4. It seems to work, because I have a Backup Copy job (Backup3 to Backup4) that successfully pushes about 1.2 TB from Backup3 to this repository.

The entire uncompressed backup set from the WS2012R2E box is < 2 TB.

When I attempt to run the job it fails with "not enough space on disk":

but there is plenty of space on the disk:

Any ideas on what might be the problem? Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: There is not enough space on the disk, despite 13 TB free

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I assume that there is a misconfiguration (accidentally picked the wrong path or something like that) or really somewhere not enough space (maybe C:\ drive as the agent backup probably runs backup for the whole machine and creates VSS snapshots on all drives).

For troubleshooting I would start reading the full error message of your screenshot to find out which drives the software complains about. (CTRL-C and CTRL+V to text editor).

If that doesn't show anything relevant, manual search in c:\programdata\veeam\backup is probably the only option for your situation with community edition. I use notepad++ with "find in files" to find the right logfile.

Best regards,
Hannes

PS: I also recommend upgrading to V11 as 9.5U4 is really old
TheWaterbug
Enthusiast

Post by TheWaterbug »

Thanks for the reply. I uploaded complete logs with my support case, so all the detail is there.

But here's the quick copy/paste of that "out of space" error:
6/30/2021 8:43:34 AM :: Error: There is not enough space on the disk.
Failed to write data to the file [V:\Backups\SentinelToBackup4 - BackupServer\SentinelToBackup4 - BackupServerD2021-06-29T220107_F42D.vbk].
Failed to download disk.
Reconnectable protocol device was closed.
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
I'm pretty sure it's not an incorrect path, because I'm using the same Repository for another backup job (Backup3toBackup4) that does complete successfully, and is about 1.2 TB.

edit: and I'm pretty sure it's finding the Repository correctly, because the job _does_ create a folder in the Repository, and it puts about 34 GB of data in that folder, but then the job fails.
TheWaterbug
Enthusiast

Post by TheWaterbug »

I would like to upgrade to version 11, but I'm scared :shock:

Is it a straightforward install-over-the-top and continue? I know "it depends" on my current installation, but my installation is very simple.

Or should I create another thread about upgrading? Or is there already a thread about 9.5U4-->11?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Yes, it is a straightforward install-over-the-top and continue. No threads needed, although I do remember seeing an existing short one with the same question about a months or two ago, so in case you do want to post about this anyway it is best you continue the existing thread :D
TheWaterbug
Enthusiast

Post by TheWaterbug »

^^ and sorry to be obtuse on this, but it is the same upgrade procedure for Community Edition?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Sure. It's the same bits, just a different license.
TheWaterbug
Enthusiast

Post by TheWaterbug »

TheWaterbug wrote: Jun 30, 2021 6:31 pmI'm pretty sure it's not an incorrect path, because I'm using the same Repository for another backup job (Backup3toBackup4) that does complete successfully, and is about 1.2 TB.

edit: and I'm pretty sure it's finding the Repository correctly, because the job _does_ create a folder in the Repository, and it puts about 34 GB of data in that folder, but then the job fails.
Curiouser and curiouser. I've allowed the job to try several times. It always fails, but it fails at amounts of data transferred. Sometimes it fails and leaves a file such as SentinelToBackup4 - BackupServerD2021-07-02xxxxx.vbk that's around 30 - 40 GB, and then yesterday it failed, leaving a file that was nearly 1.2 TB (but still not the full 1.6 TB that it needs to be).

Should just pull the trigger and upgrade to v11, hoping that it fixes some obscure bug that's causing this?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

It's not a known issue, so it's hard to say if v11 upgrade will help. You should investigate this with support. If it's something with the storage, then upgrading certainly won't help.
TheWaterbug
Enthusiast

Post by TheWaterbug »

User error. Image

When I created the Storage Space, I did a "thin provisioning" because I didn't know any better, and created a 16 TB logical volume with only 4 TB of actual, usable space.

So to the outside world, the volume is 16 TB, of which only ~3 TB is used. But in reality there's <<<< 1 TB free, and this particular job is >>>> 1 TB, so of course it fails.

I'm going to re-create the Storage Space properly, so that I know what I've got.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No problems, thanks for the follow up!