Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
bryanmeche
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Bryan

File-Backup to S3

Post by bryanmeche »

I have a file backup job going to a SOBR with a S3 destination that's set to copy immediately. When the file backup job is complete, the SOBR never offloads to S3 it stays on my local repository. When I create a VM backup job to that same SOBR it offloads immediately after the job completes. Any ideas? Does offloading to S3 not support file backups? I hope that's not the case! We use a third party software (Cloudberry) to get some files backed up to S3 and I'd like to use Veeam instead to do that.

I did open a ticket, 04173607 but figured I'd ask here as well.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: File-Backup to S3

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Bryan,
it is expected behavior - Scale-Out Backup Repository's Capacity Tier is not used with File Backup Jobs. To set file backups offloads to S3, you need to utilize Archive Repository setting under File Backup Job settings - it will do the trick.
/Cheers!
lsmith
Lurker

Post by lsmith »

This most certainly does not "do the trick". Even with the settings configured as described no data is coped to S3.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Lsmith,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums!

Could you please make sure you have chosen an object storage repository in the Archive repository setting?

Thanks
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Hey lsmith,

This took me a bit to wrap my head around too, but just understand that the Archive Tier is not a copy mode for NAS Backup. Elder/Deleted versions of data get archived with the Archive (tier?) enabled, but if there are no new versions or delete data to produce new versioning, it looks like it won't move.

As best I can tell, if you're wanting a 1:1 copy to some S3 storage, it's not possible at the current version.

I have a few clients who just rsync their data up to their preferred provider, and during DR scenarios, it was successful when importing to a local S3 server, but I hardly recommend this setup -- way too much hassle for my taste, and I don't even think it's supported (maybe I'm wrong though).
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

That's correct. Check out this page for Retention Example Cases to get a clear picture when file versions are moved over to archive repository.
/Thanks!
Lubab770
Lurker

Post by Lubab770 »

There is a workaround see this post. post370866.html#p370866
soncscy wrote: Jun 04, 2020 9:50 pm Hey lsmith,

This took me a bit to wrap my head around too, but just understand that the Archive Tier is not a copy mode for NAS Backup. Elder/Deleted versions of data get archived with the Archive (tier?) enabled, but if there are no new versions or delete data to produce new versioning, it looks like it won't move.

As best I can tell, if you're wanting a 1:1 copy to some S3 storage, it's not possible at the current version.

I have a few clients who just rsync their data up to their preferred provider, and during DR scenarios, it was successful when importing to a local S3 server, but I hardly recommend this setup -- way too much hassle for my taste, and I don't even think it's supported (maybe I'm wrong though).