Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

False alarms for Snapshot size

Post by pufferdude »

There seems to be an issue with the Snapshot Size alarm now that Veeam B&R v6 has arrived... now that v6 replication uses snapshots for the incrementals, this leads to large, but expected, long-lived snapshots on those replica VMs. I was hoping I could suppress the Snapshot Size alarm for these "replica snapshots" but there seems to be no way to do this. Choosing to suppress the alarm "during Veeam backup activity" has no effect, and none of the other suppression options seems appropriate.

If there's a way to suppress this alarm ONLY for these replica snapshots and no others, please let me know (I like having the alarm availablefor normal VMs... makes it less likely to forget to delete a snap). If not, please add such functionality to the next version of Monitor.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: False alarms for Snapshot size

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jim,

Why don't you want to disable snapshot alarm on replicated VMs? I believe it should be the right way to go, since I doubt that you would create extra snapshots manually on replicated VMs, right?

As to suppress options, then they are based on events written to vCenter Server, and they do not track snapshot names at all.

Thanks!
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

So you're saying it's possible to disable the snapshot alarm on only specific VMs? I'm not familiar with how to do that.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, of course ;) Choose the VM you want to disable this alarm on, click on the Alarms tab -> switch to Defined Alarms view and click on the Exclude checkbox on the right. Thanks!
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Doh! Well all be darned... I was only looking at the arlarm definition itself and didn't realize I could exclude anything at the individual VM level. Guess I should read the manual ;-D Thanks!