Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Marcus1414
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Markus

GFS Backup Job

Post by Marcus1414 »

Currently I have 1 GFS media pool and only enabled for Weekly retention for 2 weeks. I'm going to create a tape backup job and about to set it to run every Sunday of the week. I've the below questions and appreciate if anyone could advise on these:

1. I can set the job to run Weekly only but what does the daily scan in tape job means? Can I specify the exact time to run the weekly backup on Sunday?
2. If I set it to run weekly, every time it will be a Full Backup/Synthetic?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: GFS Backup Job

Post by HannesK »

Hello,

1. Can you maybe explain a little bit more what kind of scan you mean. I also have GFS jobs, but no scan in my session history. If the question is about multiple restore points, then the answer is given in point 2
2. You have a full, yes. Whether it's synthetic or not depends when / whether your backup jobs generate fulls: point 2

Best regards,
Hannes
Marcus1414
Enthusiast

Post by Marcus1414 »

Hi Hannesk,

For no.1, according to the url. Does the below concept correct?
I have a gfs media set and I only enable weekly which means the daily has been disabled. So when I create a gfs job, it will perform a full backup the first time I run it. And then according to my VM Backup job, I have synthetic backup on every Saturday. My tape job weekly set to run on every Sunday. So in this case, when the tape job runs it will detect there's a new synthetic full backup so it will take that full backup into tape. Is this the correct understanding?

For no.2, seems like the same concept as above.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you so much.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
1. as you probably have another increment on Sunday it will
user guide point 2 wrote:If the source job creates an incremental backup, the GFS job synthesizes a virtual full backup.
2. yep

Best regards,
Hannes
Marcus1414
Enthusiast

Post by Marcus1414 »

Hi Hannesk,

As I read through below article it seems like the virtual full backup is only used in forever forward incremental? My VM backup job configured as forward incremental backup only so is this still apply to my situation?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

the article you point to is for standard media pools. In your first post I read that you use a GFS media pool. GFS and standard pools behave different.
Marcus1414
Enthusiast

Post by Marcus1414 »

Oh I see, yes I'm using GFS media pools. So since my normal backup job will do incremental everyday except Saturday. When my tape job runs on Wednesday for example, it will do a virtual full backup for second time right
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Markus,
1. I can set the job to run Weekly only but what does the daily scan in tape job means?
Backup to daily media set (if read question correctly) takes all the backups files from the repository: incrementals and full backups. Backup to weekly media set will process only full backups (or create a synthesized full backup for the set day if you dont have a full backup on disk).
Can I specify the exact time to run the weekly backup on Sunday?
You can select the gfs tape job start time, yes.

2. If I set it to run weekly, every time it will be a Full Backup/Synthetic?
Yes, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly tape out only full backup from disk and when it's not present create a synthesized full backup from incremental restore point.