Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jmc
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: jmc

Change Backup Repository in jobs without moving backups

Post by jmc »

hello @,

i have approx 100 jobs enabled with use of a single backup repository. now i want to use an other backup repository without creation of new jobs. when i change the backup repository in the job i got the error: move all backup files to the new backup repository first.

ok, i can remove my backups from the backups screen, BUT than i must import the backups at first when i want to use the old one.

question:
how can i change the backup repository without new job creation and without remove backups from database?
(might be with a powershell script or anything else)

thanks for help
jeff
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Re: Change Backup Repository in jobs without moving backups

Post by Sethbartlett »

What you need to do is do the following procedure:

Remove from Backups
Move the files to the new repository
Right click the repository -> Rescan Repository
Edit the Job -> Pick New Repository

The "import backups" will be done for you properly when you rescan the repository. Are you wanting to change A LOT of jobs or just a few? If it's only a few, you really don't need powershell.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
jmc
Service Provider

Post by jmc »

hi seth,

thats a way, but not usable, but the new backup repository is a hp d2d debub engine. for that i must deactivate inline debub, and compression. for my convinience i can do this with powershell, but the old dedubed and compressed files to move to the debub repository would be a bad idea.

ok, the result is only the way to remove the backups form database.

thanks
jeff
Everybody ask why the dinosaurs are gone - nobody ask why they are lived so long
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

I'm confused on the issue I guess then. Whatever you would be doing with powershell or the database, is the exact same process outlined above. Are you wanting to keep old files in one location and put new files in a new location without having to run a new full?
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Jeff - by the way, I would not recommend deactivating inline dedupe. Compression, you should disable if you want to get better dedupe ratio on device. Been playing a whole lot with HP D2D box lately (HP had shipped one to our R&D office).

Also, note that disabling compression in the job will affect newly created backups only. Thus, you may still want create the new job for it to perform new backup. Otherwise, you will have that chunk of "old" compressed backup that won't be deduping with the "new" uncompressed backups.

Hope this helps.
jmc
Service Provider

Post by jmc »

hi gostev,

thank's for that important hint. btw, do you have an powershell script or idea to copy an all existing jobs to new job with - might be - a new suffix.

in this way i had complete new backups jobs and could change the beackup repository without moving old backups.

does you or anyone have a script like this?

thanks
jeff
Everybody ask why the dinosaurs are gone - nobody ask why they are lived so long
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

I am not very good at PowerShell, but if I recommend that you post a request in the PowerShell subforum, and someone may help you!
Also, if you have Enteprise Edition, there is job cloning functionality available in the Enterprise Manager web UI that you can use.
jmc
Service Provider

Post by jmc »

hi gostev,

goog idea. i will try enterprise manager and post it in powershell forum

thank's again
jeff