Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Robdigi
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Enterprise Manager

Post by Robdigi »

Can Enterprise manager be used for managing licenses only?

I want to install the full version of Veeam 6 at each site location. I want the jobs controlled locally at the site, but I want each group of licenses to be managed by an Enterprise Manager installation.

Thanks in advance.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Enterprise Manager

Post by Andreas Neufert »

You can have multible veeam Backup & Replikation Server controlled by a central Enterprise manager. The enterprise manager controles your licenses,too. You have to consolidate your licenses to a Single license over our license portal.

Andy
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Enteprise Manager pushes the license file you install into it to every backup server connected, and ensures that total number of sockets used is not exceeded across all backup servers. This is why you need to consolidate your licenses in case if you now have multiple license files (one license file per each backup server). Thanks.
Robdigi
Enthusiast

Post by Robdigi »

So, just to be clear... I do not want to control these backup servers with Enterprise Manager. I only want Enterprise Manager to handle the consolidated license file.

If this is possible, what license file do I use when I do a standalone install. There doesn't appear to be a way to point the Veeam installer to Enterprise Manager to retrieve a license.

Does Veeam need to be "Pushed" from the Enterprise Manager. If so, is it pushing a full copy of Veeam to the backup server?

The reason I ask is that I need local admins to have full control of backups and restores.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

You can use the same license file to install backup servers as the one you add to Enterprise Manager. In fact, you can use any license file at all for the installation purposes, it does not matter because as soon as you add backup server to the Enterprise Manager, it will push its license to backup server and overwrite whatever license the backup server has installed. Thanks.
Robdigi
Enthusiast

Post by Robdigi »

That answered my question. Thanks for the help.
Koga91
Lurker

Post by Koga91 »

Hello team,

Checking the roles of EM, we only have 3 roles: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

However there is a customer that wants a role such as "backup operator" where he only can backup specified VMs or applications and do not have permissions to restore.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hello,

There is no such role in the current version of Enterprise Manager, but it's planned to expand the variety of roles in the next versions. Thanks!
Koga91
Lurker

Post by Koga91 »

Thanks for your feedback.
In the meanwhile which are the suggestions or workarounds?
Because customer is worried about that point which today he is not in compliance with their security regulations.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hey,

Have you seen the new RBAC feature added with Update 4? You can find more information here in the User Guide. Thanks!