Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
leviu
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Application Aware processing on jobs per folder with multiple credentials

Post by leviu »

Our backup jobs run per vCenter folder (in our DC). We have a DC customer that has one VM in the folder that is in a workgroup environment so we are unable to use the same credentials for application aware processing. Thus I must specify different credentials for a single VM in this vCenter folder.

I've tried setting the folder to "Default" credentials and adding the VM manually and setting the other credentials, but that does not seem to work. During the credentials test/backup Veeam fails the test.
I've tried setting the same username (except for domain) and password in the domain VMs and the workgroup VM. Still the same issue.

I've checked the Windows Log -> Security in the VM and the logins for the "veeam" account for application processing are successful.
See bellow error that the credential test spits out.

On a side note, the connection is via VIX.
Unfortunately I can't open a ticket in the portal due to the guy who hold the license administrator account in the veeam portal is out on vacation and he forgot to give me access before he left...

Code: Select all

11/11/2021 16:50:15 :: Connecting to guest OS via VIX Error: Cannot connect to host [REDACTED] over web services. Login: [veeam]. Guest Login: [veeam].
Failed to execute Pwdkey
Failed to execute vSphere API command: [Failed to set registry value BiosUUID 
Failed to create SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication registry key 
Win32 error:Access is denied.
 Code: 5].
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Application Aware processing on jobs per folder with multiple credentials

Post by foggy »

Do I understand right that it is the credentials test that fails? Since the test performs both network and VIX connection tests, it is expected. Try the backup job itself and see how it works.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Do you have UAC enabled inside the guest vm?
If you have enabled UAC, using VIX and the credentials are not from the useraccount „administrator“, then please disable uac and try again.

https://www.veeam.com/kb1788

Dedicated credentials for a vm can be added in this screen with the credentials button:
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
leviu
Service Provider

Post by leviu » 1 person likes this post

UAC was not fully disabled! I've set the :HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system key EnableLUA to 0 and restarted. I was suspecting that the UAC UI is not enough.
Running the job ran it successfully.

It's a pity that UAC needs to be off. That won't work for all customers. I really don't want to open SMB from the backup server to their VLANs.

Thanks for your help!
leviu
Service Provider

Post by leviu »

foggy wrote: Nov 11, 2021 3:04 pm Do I understand right that it is the credentials test that fails? Since the test performs both network and VIX connection tests, it is expected. Try the backup job itself and see how it works.
Didn't matter. Ran the credential tests after fixing UAC and they ran fine.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Your welcome :-)
It‘s a limitation from the windows OS. I don‘t think veeam is able todo something here.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software