Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
b.schuetz-IT
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bernd Schütz

I/E port - tape ejection

Post by b.schuetz-IT »

Hello,

we are currently using Veeam Backup & Replication on a Windows Server 2019 for a backup from NAS to tape media. For this purpose we have a tape changer in use.The backup to tape works and can be performed. We've set that the ejection of the tapes should be automatically. The objective is to be able to remove the tapes.

However, we have the following problem: The error message appears that no free I/E port could be found during export. This is only a warning message. The tapes are not ejected.

What is ment by the I/E port and what setting must be made to enable tape ejection?

Basically this should not be a problem?

I would be pleased about help!

B. Schütz
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: I/E port - tape ejection

Post by Andreas Neufert »

When you have a tape library you can configure I/O (or mail) slots where you can place medias and can take them out of the library.
Sometimes these ports are still within the library and "virtual", sometime you have special slots within the chassis.
If this is the case for your library you can check the checkbox to "export" the media after the job run. Usually there is as well a "Vault" definition where you can track those offline medias within Veeam.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
e.rottier
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by e.rottier »

Andreas Neufert wrote: Apr 28, 2021 2:42 pm When you have a tape library you can configure I/O (or mail) slots where you can place medias and can take them out of the library.
Sometimes these ports are still within the library and "virtual", sometime you have special slots within the chassis.
[...]
I still don't get it.

My tape library model has 24 slots, one of which is a 'real' mail (I/O) slot. (This one mail slot can mechanically pop out of the library)
As far as I can read your post and the article behind the link, there seems no difference between all 24 slots and the one 'real' mail slot in Veeam. Is this assumption correct?

I sometimes get errors like "Failed to export tape CJR312L7: no free I/E port found", but most of the time I do not.

My library always has space enough to leave the drives empty. There are never more then 24 tapes in it.

Thanks in advance!
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Hi e.rottier

I find myself confused a bit by your post, and let's clarify terms:

Eject: Tape is moved from drive to storage slot. The tape magazine door must be opened to access the tape
Export: Tape is moved from drive/storage slot to the IE Slot (sometimes called mail slot) which can allow you to remove/add tapes to the tape library without opening the magazine door

The error you're getting is talking about Exporting the tape, and most likely, your IE Slot was filled.

Can you maybe show a screenshot of the option you selected in Veeam? Is it as described here? https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
e.rottier
Influencer

Post by e.rottier »

Hi soncscy,

I have the export option set to on in my tape job.

The option states "This option makes the job automatically close [...]" and I would like to have my sets closed after the job, so I can pull them later.
Isn't this right then?

Thanks!
soncscy
Veteran

Post by soncscy »

It should be correct then, e.rottier, I just wanted to establish what your goal was.

> Failed to export tape CJR312L7: no free I/E port found

This then means likely your tape library driver isn't reporting the IE Slot to the tape server, or maybe it doesn't at all. What is the make and model for your library? It should be pretty quick to check in the manual. For example, check this thread and you'll see that some Quantum models don't actually expose their IE Slots to backup applications, it must be done manually from the hardware itself: post435437.html#p435437
e.rottier
Influencer

Post by e.rottier »

Hi sconcsy,

Thanks for replying.

The 24-slot tape library is a HP MSL2024 G3 with the mailslot disabled (as I want it to be).

So, I do want to close the backup media set, but after that just push the tape into any available slot. And not specifically the mail slot, any slot will suffice. The option seems to force the two things, of which I only want one, together...

I will pull the complete magazine twice a week, not just the one mail slot.

Thanks again.
soncscy
Veteran

Post by soncscy »

Sure, happy to help.

Based on your needs then, indeed, you don't want this option.

Media set creation should be controlled at the Media Pool level, and simply enable the "eject tape" option in the job:

It won't close the media set immediately after the job if you use the media pool settings, but it will accomplish the exact same goal.
e.rottier
Influencer

Post by e.rottier »

Ok, I think I kinda get it.
So the export option is specifically for the export-slot (mail slot).

What I really still don't understand is the closing of media sets. When are they closed? The only thing I can find about closing sets is that specific export option.
Do I have to manually close sets? Are they closed on tape job finishing? Or are they closed after they are physically removed from the library?
soncscy
Veteran

Post by soncscy »

It's automated by the media pool process:

e.rottier
Influencer

Post by e.rottier »

I guess it's an implied thing then.

There is no mention of the word 'close' (or similar) anywhere but the export option description.

Thanks.
soncscy
Veteran

Post by soncscy »

To a degree yes. Excepting when parallel processing is in play, the opening of a new media set implies the closing of the previous for a given media pool.

Parallel processing handles this a bit differently since each drive has it's own "series" of media sets; I must admit I don't have a strong mental grasp on the selection methodology in that scenario, but for the clients we do tape on that have a need for multiple drives to tape-out, they're using GFS always so it's a lot more convenient to manage (and their is never concern about continuing previous tapes; all backup sessions are self-contained for the GFS period)