Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
alets
Novice
Liked: never

CRC error when creating recovery media

Post by alets »

Hi forum, i created a support Case # 05154525 over a week ago but haven't received replies yet...would really appreciate your help.

I have a brand new sandisk external 1tb drive, when ever I try to create the recovery media with it I get the error: Failed to create recovery media: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

I've googled a lot but haven't found a helpful post, the windows agent version is 5.0.1.4548 and currently have windows 10 home, would love your feedback... thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: CRC error when creating recovery media

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

Based on the quick search the issue is about a bad block on the device. Does it work with any other external drive?

Thanks!
alets
Novice

Post by alets »

So I tried with a 32gb usb and still same error
same error

I checked with crystal disk on the new 1tb disk and it's fine apparently
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Any signs of CRC check failures for the source disk?
alets
Novice

Post by alets »

how do I check for CRC errors in disk C: ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Try out the CHKDSK utility, additionally I would check for related errors (if any) in the Windows Event log.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6710 times

Post by Gostev »

Honestly, since the disk is brand new I would rather request RMA and get a different one, as it obviously has some issues.
alets
Novice

Post by alets »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Dec 05, 2021 5:19 pm Try out the CHKDSK utility, additionally I would check for related errors (if any) in the Windows Event log.
So I did the chkdsk and the results were fine I guess on disk C:
I tried to do the recovery media but same error

@Gostev but the recovery media failed on the new external disk and also on a 32gb usb drive, so I don't think it's a problem with the new external disk
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Well, what we can say for certain is that the error you're facing indicates some storage hardware related issue. So perhaps you should try creating a recovery media on another computer as the next troubleshooting step.
alets
Novice

Post by alets »

So I tried to make a normal backup without the recovery media set, and got another error...
Maybe this shines a light to the solution?

12/5/2021 6:51:16 PM :: Error: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request. Asynchronous read operation failed Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request. Asynchronous read operation failed Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [1797]. Failed to download disk.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Alets, sadly you've turned this topic into a support case and effectively just having us troubleshoot your environment-specific issues, completely ignoring the fact that this is NOT a support forum and that we specifically ask NOT to bring such issues here when you click New Topic. Unfortunately I need to close this topic, because you just keep ignoring the forum rules with your every post. Please review the post about it closely before creating any new topics in the future. Thank you for understanding!