Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
papali
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Import backup *.vbk to B&R

Post by papali »

Hi everyone, I have Veeam B&R 9.5 u4, I'm trying to import a backup made by another Veeam infrastructure with B&R version 10, so I go to Import backup, select the .vbk file and then it asks me for credentials, which one should I put? those of the operating system of the vm? or some password set at Veeam level? I've tried them all...

Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Import backup *.vbk to B&R

Post by Mildur »

Hi papali

Looks like the file was encrypted with veeam. You need to put in the encryption password which was configured on the other backup server.
I am not sure about the version compatiblity. I have never tried to import V10 backup files to a vbr server V9.5.

Veeam Guide 9.5 U4 - Decrypting Data with Password
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
papali
Novice

Post by papali »

Hi Mildur, thanks for your help!!!
I've thought about it too but the password request when the backup is encrypted is like the one in this link https://postimg.cc/w33f0fSg
Instead the password request that appears when I try to import a backup is like this link https://postimg.cc/VS6nmT9N
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

papali,

The one one the screenshot looks like the passwords to access the file share where you backup file is located. I'd also strongly recommend using last v10 or v11 builds instead of v9.5. Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Thanks for the screenshot.
I don't think, that this will work. Choosing a managed windows server and then putting in an UNC path.

I see two options:
- Copy the backup files to a backup repository on the vbr V9.5 U4 server and import them from there
- Configure a new CIFS Share based backup repo on the VBR 9.5 U4 server with the CIFS Share you created and import the backup files from there

But it's better to use the same or higher version, like Dmitry told you already.
papali
Novice

Post by papali » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dima, thanks! But the Veeam server already has access to the file share where the backup resides, no aditinal authentication is required.
Mildur, you were right, copying the backup file locally to the server worked, I was able to import it without prompting for credentials.
And both of you are also right about using the latest version, after the import it tells me "Unsupported storage version" and from what I read on the web I can't import a backup made with a higher version.

Anyway mystery solved !!! 10000000000 Thanks to both of you!
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Glad we could help, your welcome :-)