Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
roordai
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Isaac Roorda

File Level Restore - Access is denied

Post by roordai »

We are just getting started with Veeam Backup & Replication; we have been using v6 from the beginning and backups are working great for the most part. I tested the software before we purchased it and was happy with the file level restore functionality; however, I realized today that I had never tried to restore a file that I do not have NTFS permissions to access. Now I am trying to do so, but I receive an error.

The account I am using does not have NTFS permissions to the folder that contains the file, or to the file itself. In the FLR browser, I am able to browse the folder and locate the file; however, when I try to copy the file to the local machine, I receive the following error: "Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))." Checking or unchecking the "Preserve permissions and ownership" box has no effect on this behavior. This account is a local administrator on the Veeam server and has the Backup Administrator role in Veeam; it is not a member of the Domain Admins group. UAC is off.

I have searched the forums and found some discussion on FLR permissions, but have not encountered this specific error. Before I open a support case, I thought I would post here and see if anyone can point out something obvious that I am missing. Any takers?

Thanks!
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Re: File Level Restore - Access is denied

Post by Ben Milligan »

Issac, what happens when you use an account that has permission to this file normally in the source VM?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

roordai wrote:Checking or unchecking the "Preserve permissions and ownership" box has no effect on this behavior.
That is expected, as this option preserves permissions on restored files, it doesn't grant you these permissions.

Could you please tell me if you've tried running 1-Click File Restore through the Web UI?
roordai
Novice

Post by roordai »

Hi guys,

If I use an account that has permission to the file in the source VM, the restore works fine.

1-click restore through the BEM web UI does the same thing - I get an error on files that I do not have permission to on the source VM.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

Please open a support case to find out the answer to this question ;)
roordai
Novice

Post by roordai »

When I went to open a support case, I ran across a KB article which recommended using the OS-agnostic (non-Windows) FLR tool for restoring files I do not have access to. Since this method ignores NTFS permissions, it worked fine; I think this will work for my needs.

Thanks guys.