Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
TerrierJim
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: James Walton

Insufficient disk space to create the shadow copy of volume C:

Post by TerrierJim »

Hello
Case # 05258932
Struggling with some warnings on a backup job which I've been unable to resolve.

Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Details: VSSControl: -2147467259 Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x8004231f].

The following event is logged in the System log at the same time:

There was insufficient disk space on volume \\?\Volume{d2a96532-0000-0000-0000-40cc1d000000} to create the shadow copy of volume C:. Shadow copy storage creation failed.

I don't understand why Veeam is trying to create a shadow copy of the C: drive on the \\?\Volume{d2a96532-0000-0000-0000-40cc1d000000} volume. This is the Recovery Partition volume, which is only 825MB in size, which explains why there is insufficient space. I have checked and the server is configured to save its shadow copies of the C drive on to the C drive itself, which has plenty of free space.

I can create shadow copies manually without any issues from within Windows itself.

Any ideas please?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Insufficient disk space to create the shadow copy of volume C:

Post by Gostev »

Hello. As explained when you click New Topic, this is not a support forum for environment-specific issues. Please review those rules and the purpose of these forums carefully before making future contributions. As for your issue, please just keep working with our technical support, I see you did not even respond to their email from yesterday. Thanks!