Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
mbroaders
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Martin Broaders

Veeam One Hosted in Azure

Post by mbroaders »

I am being asked by a client who is installing Veeam One with an on premise vSphere infrastructure (approx 15 ESxi hosts) and 1Gb/s Expressroute connectivity to Azure to either :

1. Host the Veeam One database in Azure SQL PaaS and the other Veeam One Components on Prem

or

2. Host the entre Veeam One infrastructure inc SQL Database in Azure

How feasible would it be to have either of these solutions in place when monitoring an on premise infrastructure?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Veeam One Hosted in Azure

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Martin,

Both are workable, but I would choose the second option to minimize the delays in communication between VONE components. Also, this approach should provide a better level of security out of the box since apart from enabling data collection from the infrastructure on-premises, you will only need to expose two UIs in a DMZ/via ExpressRoute. Please note that we have not tested VONE deployments in Azure, but have done that with AWS, so I would not expect issues.

Thanks
mbroaders
Service Provider

Post by mbroaders » 1 person likes this post

that's brilliant thanks wishr
mbroaders
Service Provider

Post by mbroaders »

I am just creating the SQL database and in Azure . Using General Purpose Serverless. I have ran the script against it from the Veeam One Addins and have gotten some errors. I'm not sure if they will be road blocks or not at this point though. At least one error relates to the msdb database. In Azure SQL PaaS there is no MSDB database, is this a hard requirement for Veeam One?

Code: Select all

Msg 5008, Level 16, State 4, Line 1
This ALTER DATABASE statement is not supported. Correct the syntax and execute the statement again.
Msg 5069, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
ALTER DATABASE statement failed.
Msg 40517, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Keyword or statement option 'RECOVERY' is not supported in this version of SQL Server.
The module 'AddDefaultCollectionJob' depends on the missing object 'monitor.SynchronizeMonitor'. The module will still be created; however, it cannot run successfully until the object exists.
The module 'AddDefaultCollectionJob' depends on the missing object 'monitor.SynchronizeMonitor'. The module will still be created; however, it cannot run successfully until the object exists.
Msg 40515, Level 15, State 1, Line 556
Reference to database and/or server name in 'msdb..sysjobs' is not supported in this version of SQL Server.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Martin,

Based on the log snipped you shared, I do not think it will work in the serverless tier as it seems some commands are not supported there for some reason.

In the case with AWS when we've been testing it we simply deployed an RDS instance and then pointed Veeam ONE server there during the common installation using the setup.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Martin, do you have the same output/issue when using SQL Managed Instance and SQL Database?
mbroaders
Service Provider

Post by mbroaders »

Thanks Vitaly S. I haven't tried it as the costs of SQL Managed Instance are high in comparison to Serverless. From what i can see though the msdb database doesn't exist in any of the PaaS SQL options in Azure so if there is a dependency on that existing then it won't work. It would be great if Veeam One had some more integration with Azure overall. Hoping the next edition can bring in that functionality.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

I see, thanks for the feedback and tests you've done with Azure.