Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TurboBG
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam restoration space requirements

Post by TurboBG »

I am trying to restore a VM. There is not enough space on the datastore for the entire VM to be on there twice. When I use the Restore Wizard I receive this error message:

"Not enough free space on destination, additional 208.40 GB needed
Continue anyway?"

I get this when I click Next on the Choose Destination screen. What are the consequences of choosing Yes? Do I need to have enough space for two copies of the VM during the restoration process?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam restoration space requirements

Post by foggy »

What VBR version are you using? I cannot find the Choose Destination screen in the Restore Wizard in v6.

In v6, if you are not restoring the VM to its original location, it will be registered as a new VM (thus requiring appropriate space on the datastore). If you select to continue restoration in case of not enough space, the job will fail. When restoring to the original location (over existing VM), restore job will overwrite the existing VM files.
TurboBG
Novice
Liked: never

Post by TurboBG »

I'm using Veeam Backup and FastSCP version 4.1.2 (sorry for not supplying this).

This is the Choose Destination screen I was looking at. I believe you have answered my question though. I plan to restore to the original location. I'm selecting the same Host, Virtual machine name, Datastore, and Resource pool as the original VM.

I'll go ahead and give it a try.

Thanks. :D
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I believe you should see a warning message offering you to overwrite existing VM when you hit Next. Cannot check that as I do not have 4.1.2 version deployed in the lab, sorry.