Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
felyjos
Veteran
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dominique DUCHEMIN

VMware tools version

Post by felyjos »

Hello,

I have installed nWorks 5.7.
I am looking for a report/view about the VMware tools version?
Is it listed somewhere?

Thanks,
Dom
felyjos
Veteran
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dominique DUCHEMIN

Re: VMware tools version

Post by felyjos »

Hello,
I have the nWorks 5.7 management pack deployed and it clearly shows the VM Tools version under in the details view under monitoring, VMware virtual machine, _VMstate.
But It shows
- version 8300 in SCOM for a local about Version 8.3.12, build 493255 (this one seems showing a partial version)
or
- version 213532 for a local about Version 3.5.0, build-213532 (this one is showing the build number)
anything wrong or was it a chnage within the version in VMtools and MPs?
Thanks,
Dom
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dom,

we do rely on the VMTools version as provided by vCenter, through the VMware API. We did not change our method of collecting this between 5.6 and 5.7 nworks.

However a topolgy rebuild will make sure that all your VM properties are refreshed and current. Could you press the 'Rebuild Full Topology' button in the nworks UI (select root node of Enterprise Manager tree), wait for rebuild to complete, then check the VMTools version again? Let us know how it goes!

Cheers
Alec
ArunJawalkar
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Arun J

Post by ArunJawalkar »

How can I have an alerting system in VEEAM for VMs with different\lower VMware tools version.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

ArunJawalkar wrote: Oct 09, 2018 12:42 pm How can I have an alerting system in VEEAM for VMs with different\lower VMware tools version.
Hi Arun,

Welcome to Veeam community forums and thank you for posting your question.

Are you looking for this kind of alert in our Management Pack for VMware for System Center Operations Manager? If so, we already have a view representing statuses of VMware Tools installed on the VMs. You can find this information in the "All VMs" view, "VMware Tools version" column. We get these statuses directly from VMware, so the detection itself is being done on the VMware end.

Currently, there is no alerting mechanism for outdated VMware Tools, because if you have, let's say 6000 VMs, you'll be flooded with these notifications that might be useless in certain situations.

Thanks,
Fedor
ArunJawalkar
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Arun J

Post by ArunJawalkar »

Hi Fedor,

I agree, but VMware tools version is very vital and there should atleast be a reporting for VMware tools with lower version in any VMware environment. I will until then look into "All VMs" view, "VMware Tools version" column.

Thank you for the first piece of information.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Dear Arun,

This VMware Tools Report is one of the features already listed in our backlog for future MP releases.

Thank you for the request and please stay tuned for updates!

Cheers,
Fedor