Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Supraman
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Vinh

Application Restore from Exchange Database

Post by Supraman »

Hello Guys,

I had open a case on a VSS issue I was having with our Exchange backup. During that course I had check our backup to disk by doing a restore (Application Items). During the restore of Exchange and what I notice was that some of my PF maibox shows up twice one with a - in the naming and one without.

Has anyone come across this, from what I can see the one without the dash contain mailbox folders that are not found on the mail PF? This almost duplicate folder was not created by anyone manually from what I can tell.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Application Restore from Exchange Database

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Just to clarify, what is a "PF" mailbox? Public folder? In any case, that sounds like a technical issue. Please provide a support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic.
Without case number, the topic will eventually be
deleted by moderators

Best regards,
Hannes
Supraman
Enthusiast

Post by Supraman »

Hello Hannes,

The case # Case #05327571 for the VSS issue; however, for the for the forum posted I did not open a support case for. As I am not sure if that was normal or not and PF does stand for public folder.

So basically I had PF1 and there's a PF-1 inbox, PF-1 was something that was created and to be expect; however, PF1 was not something that we had internally created. Therefore, it was strange and what I do know is that upon checking PF1 there were emails in that particular inbox; therefore, I was wondering if anyone has come across this or would happen to know why there a secondary PF with a similar name.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

What do you get by using the following command in the exchange Powershell?

Code: Select all

Get-Mailbox -PublicFolder
If this command shows you both Public Folder Mailboxes (Pf1,PF-1), then you should ask your exchange admin. Veeam doesn‘t create Public Folder Mailboxes for you. Veeam protect this mailboxes after they were created by someone.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Adding my 2 cents: probably, these are primary hierarchy and secondary hierarchy mailboxes, at least it's worth checking as well. More information can be found here.

Thanks!
Supraman
Enthusiast

Post by Supraman »

Mildur wrote: Mar 28, 2022 7:52 pm What do you get by using the following command in the exchange Powershell?

Code: Select all

Get-Mailbox -PublicFolder
If this command shows you both Public Folder Mailboxes (Pf1,PF-1), then you should ask your exchange admin. Veeam doesn‘t create Public Folder Mailboxes for you. Veeam protect this mailboxes after they were created by someone.
Hello Mildur,

It shows the Alias (Public Folder) and Server Name.

From this view I did not see the duplicates, but within the Veeam explorer I did.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

May I ask you to create a support case for this issue and paste case ID over here for our reference? It looks strange that duplicates are visible in explorer only.

Thanks!