Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GianlucaCroci
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Gianluca Croci

Helper Server with "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Hello,
I've some questions about the "Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SQL Server", and more specifically about the Helper Server.
If I open this explorer on Veeam's main server, and configure its "General Options" by entering the Helper Server, it works.
If I open this explorer on the Helper server, and configure its "General Options" by entering itself as Helper Server, it gives me the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

On the two servers I logged in with the same domain user. Veeam I open it with the same domain user. The user I want to use to connect to the Helper Server is the same.
Yet on the main Veeam server I can configure it, while on the Helper no (Validation failed).

The user I want to use (as mentioned is the same as the one I use on the Veeam main server), has the rights to the SQL installed on the Helper Server.

What can I check?

Another question: on the Helper Server I created a local user, and also configured it in SQL. Could I use this user? The user set in the "General Options" of the Helper Server is used only to connect to its SQL, or the Explorer also uses it to connect to the Veeam backup, to the SQL referenced by the backup, ...

Thanks in advance for the help.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Helper Server with "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the staging server can be used with local or domain user. Also SQL native authentication is supported.

Overall, that sounds like a technical issue. Please provide a support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic.
Without case number, the topic will eventually be
deleted by moderators

Best regards,
Hannes
PS: support can only help if you upload logs https://www.veeam.com/kb1832
GianlucaCroci
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Gianluca Croci

Re: Helper Server with "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Hello,