Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
vlb
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Martyn Jeffrey

i thought VBR blocked vmotions etc

Post by vlb »

we had a vm fail so after abit of checking it seems that just after VBR called for the snapshot our vsphere performed a DRS on the VM.

I looked around and found this

vmware-vsphere-f24/veeam-backup-during- ... 68186.html

would seem to suggest that VBR should block the vmotion, but as you can see from this screen the snapshot was called for and then a DRS was performed (which i believe was responsible for the failure)

did VBR just not have enough time to block it (the DRS event was 1 minute 20 seconds after VBR called for snapshot)

Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: i thought VBR blocked vmotions etc

Post by PetrM »

Hi Martyn,

Normally, vMotion lock is performed by the hypervisor itself after Veeam B&R invokes "VixDiskLib_PrepareForAccess" method which is described on this page of VDDK programming guide. You may ask our support engineers to examine Veeam and VMware logs to understand what happened at vSphere level after the mentioned function had been called. Please share a support case ID with us.

Thanks!
vlb
Influencer

Post by vlb » 1 person likes this post

will do

thanks
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1407 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

When Veeam has no vCenter permission rights for global access to the methods, then we can not set this flag. We continue them with the backup ignoring this. but it can lead to this situation then.

In VMWare Cloud on AWS/Outpost/Dell and Azure VMware Service this permission is not given to the customers and it is expected behaviors by design.

Support can identify the permission Limitation in the logs or identify other potential root causes.
vlb
Influencer

Post by vlb »

Hey

VBR has full 'god' access to vcentre

have raised a support case, will deal with it with the guys when they get in touch, thanks for taking the time to reply