Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
StephanG
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stephan G

Registry Key Permissions for 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication'

Post by StephanG »

Hi everyone,
can someone please post the rights for the reg folder
'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication'

I have an error in my event log that says
"Alternative log directory setting error :
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication' is denied."

And the permission seem to be wrong:
https://pasteboard.co/Kg9cGtF.png

Thanks in advance
Stephan
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Registry Key Permissions for 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication'

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Stephan,

Just to clarify - do you run B&R as an administrator?

Thanks!
StephanG
Enthusiast

Re: Registry Key Permissions for 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication'

Post by StephanG »

Yes. I am logged in as local administrator when i open up the console.
I do not explicit say "run as administrator".

But the rights for IIS_Users seem to be wrong
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Stefan,

Did you face this issue after some updates installation?
If everything is done according to the requirements, I would say you have to open a Support ticket.

If you are looking for the examples of the permissions, I can share it from my lab:
(same permissions for all groups)

Also, I've checked the similar cases - not sure that's exactly your issue, but usually simple re-login helped.

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Adding my 2 cents: reboot of the backup server is worth trying as well if simple re-login does not help.

Thanks!
StephanG
Enthusiast

Post by StephanG »

Hi PetrM. Hi Natalie
I did that already several times. Rebooting and relogin
It is not high priority because it does not really disrupt any service.

I removed the backup server from the domain to a workstation server. So that might be the root of the problem.
It is also happening at reboot - because it is a information that a service needs (but they all run as local system - and system has the rights to write)

Alternative log directory setting error :
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication' is denied.
Using default directory : C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran

Post by Natalia Lupacheva » 1 person likes this post

Hi Stephan,

Well I would say you need a Support case. I'm not sure we will find a universal solution here on forums, and Support will be able to check your logs and solve this issue on your exact environment.

Thanks!
pburkhardt
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by pburkhardt »

Hi,
I have encountered the same issue. The event log shows:
Access to the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication' is denied.

So, I'm curious if there ever was a resolution to this problem? If so, I might be able to use it.

Thanks,

Paul
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Paul,

Please open a support case in order to troubleshoot the issue and paste a support case ID over here.

Thanks!
Switchie_Urs
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Urs

Post by Switchie_Urs » 1 person likes this post

Hi Paul,

would be curious to hear about the success of your support case. I'm facing the same problem and haven't found a solution yet. the problem does not impact the service but creates annoying false positives in the monitoring system.

Registry permissions OK as per Natalia's post.

Manually created the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VEEAM\VEEAM BACKUP AND REPLICATION\LogDirectory key and had it point to C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup which temporarily seemed to have solved the issue. A couple of days later though that same registry key was still there but now pointed to D:\VeeamBackupLogs - a directory that wasn't created by us yet contains actual up to date logs.
I'll re-configure the log directory to the default again, see if that keeps happening and report back

Urs
ranijrad
Lurker
Full Name: RAljrad

Post by ranijrad »

Hello there,

I got this issue after upgrading to V.11 with enabling the Backup File Encryption. I also tried to enable the Encryption on the level of the job instead of the general configuration. Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem. Any ideas ?

P.S. The required permission is already granted as mentioned above.

Regards,

Rani
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2287 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Rani

A support is required to troubleshoot this issue.
Please open a case with our support and let us know the case number.

Thank you
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
angel.ares@switch.ch
Service Provider
Full Name: Angel Ares

Post by angel.ares@switch.ch »

Hello
Is there any news about this issue.
We still have this even after adjusting the permissions in windows security.
Thank you in advance.
Regards
Angel
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Angel,

Every technical issue must be handled by our support team. Please open a support case and share case ID with us, otherwise the post can be deleted by moderator according to forum rules.

Thanks!
angel.ares@switch.ch
Service Provider
Full Name: Angel Ares

Post by angel.ares@switch.ch »

Hello PetrM
Case #05303075 — Veeam log directory, Permissions
Ticket from Feb 25, 2022 11:47
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Angel,

In our ticket tracking system I see that the case has already been closed, if the same issue persists you may open a new case and refer to the one mentioned above so that our engineers can continue to work on it.

Thanks!
sunder
Lurker
Full Name: sunder

Post by sunder »

So this ended up being the Veeam server was not able to contact the Database server in my case. We just change the network card from 1G to 10G in the ESXi server that has Veeam and Veeam Database.

After the network card changed for both Veeam and the VeeamDB server. Windows Server changed the Network Card Profile
-Network flagged as Public
-Firewall was set as Public Profile
-This cause ADS auth to fail from the Veeam Server to the Database server.

Restart Network Location Awareness Service.
The network cards changed it's profile from Public to Domain

Also learned that Veeam Backup Services are on a delay start ~2 mins or more after a reboot.

Hope this helps someone else.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Sunder

May I ask, is this comment for this topic?
I'm trying to understand the connection between the registry key issues and a network card change.
If you wanted to post the comment to another topic, please send me the link, I will move the comment to the right topic.

Thanks
Fabian
Seitjan
Novice
Full Name: Seitjan

Post by Seitjan »

Hi all, we have the same problem after upgrading from v10 to v11 we've seen error messages in windows Event Log.
We've opened a support ticket #06005738 and support didn't help us.

We fixed the problem by changing the Veeam Services to start from Local account (before we've used service account)
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Seitjan

Thanks for the case number and solution.
From the case notes, I can see that support was helping you with steps to analyze the issue. There was an active discussion between our support engineer and you. But I'm glad you found a solution which worked for you. Next step from our side would have been to escalate the case to the next tier.

Best,
Fabian