Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
adam900331
Veteran
Liked: 22 times

Adding SAN LUN to backup proxy

Post by adam900331 »

Hy!

I will implement a backup infrastructure. I have some ESXi host which has some dedicated LUN through SAN. The backup server is a physical machine, and this server will be the backup proxy too. The server has direct SAN connection to SAN network. I know, when I install B&R and backup proxy the SAN Policy automatically modified to Offline Shared. Ref link: https://www.veeam.com/kb1446

What is the correct step when I add the ESXi servers or vCenter servers to Veeam? Firstly add the servers and after the LUN to backup proxy? If the SAN Policy is Offline Shared won't auto initialized the Windows? Can I do other step before add LUN to backup proxy?

Thanks.
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 613 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: Adding SAN LUN to backup proxy

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello Adam,
It is not very clear to me the scenario we have a few main components in Veeam:
  • The Veeam Backup and Replication Server, seems this is physical right?
  • Backup Repository, this is the role where we save the data, is this as well part of that physical server?
  • The Veeam Proxy, which is the data mover, is the one that talks to the virtual environment and moves the data to the Repository. Is this role on the same server too?
Forgive me, but I do not understand ESXi LUN; what does it contain, VMs? Is it formatted as the normal VMFS?

In the case that what the ESXi contains on that LUN is VMs, and it is formatted as normal VMFS. Then, yes, on the server that acts as a proxy enable iSCSI, point to the LUN, and make sure everything is in order, in case you have CHAP, etc. And keep the LUN without initialization, I think since Windows Server 2016 onwards it is by default anyways, but follow that KB you pasted.

Thanks!
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

Hy!

The Veeam Backup and Replication Server, seems this is physical right?
Yes, this is a physical server.

Backup Repository, this is the role where we save the data, is this as well part of that physical server?
Yes, the backup repository is the physical server with local disks. (same as the backup server)

The Veeam Proxy, which is the data mover, is the one that talks to the virtual environment and moves the data to the Repository. Is this role on the same server too?
Yes, this physical server has direct SAN access to the production SAN network, where be the LUNs, (VMFS datastore) what use the ESXi hosts. This VMFS datastore contain the VMs files like virtual hard disk.

So I would like to backup this VMs through Direct SAN access transport mode. So I have to add the LUN which reside the VMFS datastore to the backup proxy server, haven't I?

Is it clear for You?

Thanks.
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 613 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello Adam, yes all clear and good stuff.

Make sure to follow that KB or some of the other blogs and documents we have. You need to present that ESXi LUN to the server and see it without being initialized, then the Proxy will do DirectSAN for the VMs that are on that LUN, and network mode for the rest, as it can not do HotAdd as it is not a virtual proxy.

Let us know; thanks a lot.
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
barlid
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Barli Dharmajaya

Post by barlid » 1 person likes this post

Hi Adam,

If you want to achive SAN Access Transport you need to follow this guide,
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

In summary you need:
1. Present Datastore LUN from storage to physical server
2. Please take note carefully on mention link, you must keep the disk LUN offline at OS level, and never bring online or moreover initialized. it will destroy VMFS Datastore, your VM will be corrupted.
3. Then When you create backup job, and start backup VM which reside on those LUN, Direct SAN access transport mode will be chosen.

But please also consider Direct SAN access have much limitation you can found on the article, Since it have more complex than other transport method, I suggest you can explore or use SCSI hotadd method. I have implemented most of my client using this method instead use Direct SAN :)

Thanks
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

Thanks.

But before I present the LUN from storage to the backup proxy, can I do something safety step to prevent automatically bring online or initialized the affected LUN?

I would like to collect detailed information.

Thanks.
barlid
Enthusiast

If Server have Proxy role, it will automatically set SAN Policy to Offline Shared, but you can check it by run this command in command prompt:

Code: Select all

C:\> DISKPART
DISKPART> SAN
It will have output like this:

Code: Select all

SAN Policy : Offline Shared
Thanks,
Barli
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

Thanks.

I have a question related to SAN zoning (FC connection). If I have 2 ESXi server which has 1-1 datastore, how many SAN zone do I create? 1 zone, which include 3 member (backup proxy and 2 datastore LUN)? Or 2 different zone: 1 zone with two member(backup proxy and one datastore), another 1 zone with two member (backup proxy and one datastore)?
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Post by rennerstefan »

Hi Adam,

this is up to you and outside of Veeam's resposibility. At the end zoning is about a logical separation of connections and with that any of the above will work.
Its more about your security guidelines as well as your overall zone concept.

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
barlid
Enthusiast

adam900331 wrote: Sep 26, 2022 6:21 am Thanks.

I have a question related to SAN zoning (FC connection). If I have 2 ESXi server which has 1-1 datastore, how many SAN zone do I create? 1 zone, which include 3 member (backup proxy and 2 datastore LUN)? Or 2 different zone: 1 zone with two member(backup proxy and one datastore), another 1 zone with two member (backup proxy and one datastore)?
Hi Adam,

Both of your scenario can work perfectly, but for me, I used to implement the second one in my client, the reason is second one which more secure and have better isolation than first one.

Thanks,