Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
Vejete
Technology Partner
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jim Turner

Experience with CIFS and NFS backup from Qumulo storage

Post by Vejete »

Not using Qumulo as Veeam repo storage, no. I'm talking about using Veeam to backup hundreds of TiB of CIFS and NFS data being shared from Qumulo storage. Does anyone here have direct experience with such? Any best practices? Tips? Tricks?

Customer who is deploying Veeam for their vSphere backup (~1,400 VMs). They also have 600+ TiB of non-VM CIFS and NFS file shares served out by Qumulo. I want Veeam to protect that data, too.
=====
Jim Turner, VMCE 2020
Master Technologist & BURA Evangelist
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Experience with CIFS and NFS backup from Qumulo storage

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
assuming that Qumulo storage behaves similar like other filers... go for it :-)

Same best practices like for any other genal NAS backup apply.

If they are backing up to 7k spindles, I would check out meta-extents. They are primarily for inline-dedupe appliances, but I'm sure they also bring performance boost for 7k spindles on (Apollo) servers. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 - the -metadata parameter

Best regards,
Hannes
Vejete
Technology Partner
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jim Turner

Post by Vejete »

Thanks, Hannes.

I thought this might get more of a response. So is nobody out there using Veeam to backup CIFS shares and NFS exports hosted on Qumulo storage? I really don't want to be a trailblazer here. :-)

And I will indeed check out your URL because my cu is writing their backups to HPE StoreOnce.
=====
Jim Turner, VMCE 2020
Master Technologist & BURA Evangelist
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
there might be some Qumulo storage customers out there in the Veeam customer base. As you limit them to 600TB+, chances are probably low that they read this thread. Most customers come to the forums if they see issues. If you don't find Qumulo issues on the forums, then chances are good that everything works fine.
I really don't want to be a trailblazer here. :-)
uhm, can you explain? I mean, what's the point of naming the filer Isilon, Netapp, whatever or Qumulo? It's just SMB & NFS protocol that works everywhere the same if properly implemented (which I expect for Qumulo)
my cu is writing their backups to HPE StoreOnce.
as always, I strongly recommend following the Veeam reference architecture and using StoreOnce only for backup copy jobs. HPE has Apollo and Nimble as proper backup targets in the portfolio where I hear a lot of positive feedback.

Best regards,
Hannes
mark49808
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Post by mark49808 »

Posting here as this is the the only thread mentioning qumulo on the forums. How did this turn out? We are wanting to do something similar.

Separately, will Veeam offer Qumulo integration anytime soon? I do not see them on the link of integrated storage products (https://www.veeam.com/kb4206) , so lack of snapshot processing make this not as ideal as other vendors.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
it depends on what means "soon" for you :-) We have it on our list, but cannot provide any estimation when it might happen.

If Qumulo snapshots can be scripted remotely, then you can do backup from snapshot with a pre-script and backup from a storage snapshot path

If Qumulo supports remote VSS, then it would even work without scripting.

Would any of that work for you?

Best regards,
Hannes
mark49808
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Post by mark49808 »

Soon would be V12 ideally :)

Otherwise the remote scripting is workable but a bit painful as you can imagine and not as nice to deal with issues, etc.

Not sure on VSS but will review it.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

definitely not in V12 :-)

It would also work without scripting, if Qumulo creates snapshots automatically. Then you could also just back up from any of the existing snapshots.