Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mporliod
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: massimiliano porliod

Veeam server migration

Post by mporliod »

Good morning , I have a physical server with veeam configured as follows: windows server 2016 std operating system, 3 partitions (one ntfs and two Refs) each partition is a repository.
Due to space problems I bought a new physical server with disks on board, windows server 2019 std operating system and a single Refs partition.
The first step I want to do is to migrate veeam to the new server keeping all the configurations and keeping the repositories still on the old server.
There is a procedure to do it and it is possible.
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times

Re: Veeam server migration

Post by RomanK »

Hello Massimiliano,

The general migration procedure is described here.
It also says
If you have local repositories, after migration to another VM they may be displayed as empty. In this case, add them again and remap the jobs.
Therefore you probably also need to follow this KB

Is that what you are looking for?

Thanks
mporliod
Expert

Post by mporliod »

so following the first veeam migration procedure he sees me the repositories in the old server.
I can migrate the repositories later too.
mporliod
Expert

Post by mporliod »

Can you confirm that I can migrate the veeam server to the new physical server without losing the pointer to the repositories that remain on the old server?
From the information I have, if I migrate a ReFS volume with veeam 11 I move the space without the benefits of the fastclone.
this is true ?
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose » 1 person likes this post

Yes, you will lose the fast clone savings when moving data on ReFS from one server to another, as it needs to rehydrate the files to copy them. If the drives with ReFS were coming from a storage array, you could disconnect them and then connect them to the new server, but that is not the case.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Post by FrancWest » 1 person likes this post

Are the ReFS partitions located on separate physical disks? If so, can’t you put those disks into the new server?

Also, I’d recommend Windows Server 2022 for the new machine, since it has quite some performance improvements for ReFS.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

You could also try to clone the repository to the new server, see this thread:

vmware-vsphere-f24/how-can-i-copy-the-e ... 83252.html
mporliod
Expert

Post by mporliod »

Ok so can you confirm that I can only migrate veeam to the new server and leave the repositories in the old server, don't lose the pointers, in the procedure you linked to me it's written how to do it?
Someone wrote that with veeam 12 it is possible to move the Refs repositories while maintaining the space benefits with fastclone can you confirm it for me? is there a procedure?
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

The link describes how to clone a disk to disk using Clonezilla. So you can copy the repository to the new server. Since this creates an image of the source disc it should retain the refs de duplication. However, I’ve never tried this procedure myself.

I’ve also read that V12 would support that feature, but since it’s currently in beta I don’t know if this will make it into the final version.
mporliod
Expert

Post by mporliod »

I was referring to this procedure: "Migrating Veeam Backup & Replication to Another Backup Server".
By doing this procedure can I temporarily keep the repositories on the old server? and continue to backup and in a second moment I will migrate the repositories on the new server?