Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Bondy
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Bond

SQL application item restore - am I missing something?

Post by Bondy »

Hi,

I am evaluating Veeam V6 with Vsphere 5. I am trying to test a SQL application item restore. I create the job, go into enterprise manager to approve it, and this is where I get stuck. In the second screen for approving it, from reading the manual it is supposed to list the backups available. "Backup: Select backup to use if VM is processed by more than one job.". There is nothing shown and therefore the next button is greyed out.

I definitely have a valid backup of the VM I am trying to do an application item restore on.

The Veeam backup server is on our corporate network. The target VMWare cluster (and Virtual LAB / VM)is in our DMZ. I have two NICs in the backup server. One connected to the corporate LAN and one connected to the DMZ. So far this has worked fine for everything I have tried including VM backups and restores. Veeam always uses the correct interface so I don't think it's that but I have also tried disabling the firewall between the subnets and tested just in case.

I have also tried running the enterprise manager using valid credentials on both the corporate LAN and the target VM.

Can anyone please give me some ideas what else I can try? I'm out of ideas.

Thanks,

Bondy
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SQL application item restore - am I missing something?

Post by foggy »

Paul, can you see this VM backups in the Enterprise Manager under the VMs tab? Also, is there a chance that the VM name is specified incorrectly?
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

Did you try installing SQL U-Air wizard directly on your Veeam server and using it without enterpise manager?
Bondy
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Bond

Post by Bondy »

Thanks for your replies.

How do you use SQL U-Air without the enterprise manager? How do you approve the restore job?

The only reason I installed it was because from my reading, that is how you approve the restores for U-Air.

SQL U-Air wizard is installed directly on my Veeam server.

Alexander, I could not see the backups in enterprise manager so I spent more time playing with it and can now see them. Therefore I can now get past the point I was getting stuck.

Judging from the reply from Haris, It seems I am doing this in a more complicated way than is necessary. I would appreciate it if you could point me in the direction of something which describes the simplest way to restore a row or table to a DB. Even a whole DB.

Thanks,

Paul
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Paul,

If you're the only admin in your environment, there is no need to use Enterprise Manager to approve U-AIR restores.

Please have a look at our sticky F.A.Q. for more details: U-AIR Lab Requests Workflow

Hope this helps!
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

Jep that's what i meant. Just start your SureBackup manually and then perform the U-Air restore.