Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rawtaz
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Rename imported backup

Post by rawtaz »

Hi,

I imported a backup just now (the "Import Backup" button), and it was registered in Veeam as TheBackupName_imported.

How can I change the name of it back to TheBackupName?

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Rename imported backup

Post by Gostev »

Hi, it is not possible to change a name of imported backups. Why do you even want to keep this backup imported long enough to care about its name? Typically, you only import the backup just before performing a restore, and remove it immediately after. Thanks.
rawtaz
Expert

Post by rawtaz »

It is because the ESXi host IP was changed (I know we should be running with a hostname instead). From what I could tell, I needed to import the backup in order to be able to restore from it.

Perhaps it's not possible to continue backing up to this imported backup? This was late last night so I haven't gotten to try that yet. If not, then it makes sense that no energy was spent on the ability to rename imported backups.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

In v6, it is possible to continue backing up into the existing backup - but you should put the backup into your backup repository and "map" the new job into this backup file, instead of importing the backup. See the adjacent thread about moving to the new repository, talks just about that :D
rawtaz
Expert

Post by rawtaz »

Gostev, can you tell me whether the Import Backup feature is the right thing to use in the cases where you changed IP of the ESXi host a backup is made from?

I tried restoring from the untouched backup repository before doing Import Backup, but then got the "Host with id 'some long number' was not found" error. Read around a bit and got the impression that Import Backup was the way to go! So I right-clicked the backup, chose Remove, and then imported it again.

I'm reading the other thread, but it's about when you move the actual backups between repositories. In that case one should naturally use Rescan Repository, but according to the user guide the Import Backup is the one to use when you've changed the ESXi host (" .. if you happened to delete the server with which the backup was associated from the management tree .." on page 198). Unless "server" in this quote refers to the bacup repository server of course :)

Just want to make sure I understand when to do what, even though I don't plan on changing the ESXi hosts around in the future :mrgreen:
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is the right thing to use in the cases where you simply need to restore the VMs from the backup but "happened to delete the server with which the backup was associated from the management tree". But if you do not just want to restore and want to continue the backup job also, you'd need to map backup instead.
rawtaz
Expert

Post by rawtaz »

Roger this. Thanks for verifying!