Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
rjoffe
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ron Joffe

Alarm Settings AND vs OR logic

Post by rjoffe »

On the Alarm Settings Rules, are multiple rules logically looked at as AND or OR statements?

Additionally, the Alarm Settings Reporting tab, are the Tolerance and Frequency AND'd or OR'd together?

Thanks,

Ron
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Alarm Settings AND vs OR logic

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In both cases it is "OR".
rjoffe
Influencer

Post by rjoffe »

Thanks Vitaliy !

Can I make an enhancement request for the ability to optionally change to AND logic ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you can do this request! ;) But could you please elaborate a little further, so I could better understand the use case you have?
rjoffe
Influencer

Post by rjoffe »

On the Reporting Tab, I would like to get an alarm the next time the threshold (tolerance) changes by 5% and an hour has gone by.

On the Rules Tab, Ideally we would name each rule (1,2,3) then be able to write a logic statement. Something like "(1 AND 2) OR 3"

For example, I have a process that runs on one of the VM's at 1AM every Mon-Fri. I would like a CPU rule that states "When CPU exceeds 95% AND NOT (when it's between 1AM and 3AM AND day is between Mon-Fri)

Just thinking of other reporting tools I have built in the past that lets you write custom logic, we always needed (AND,OR and Not)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ron, thanks for the feedback, makes total sense.
parmand
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Armenakis

Post by parmand »

Hi Vitaliy and everyone else,

I know this is a thread necro, as it hasn't been posted in over a year, but my company is currently looking into some reporting tools for VMWare, and Veeam is one of the pieces of software were currently evaluating. I actually created this account looking specifically for this answer. Do you know if this logic has been implemented yet?

For example, heres my use case: Looking at just the default alarms, I see there is an alarm for Memory Swapped. In my environment, we have a few machines that have swapped memory a very long time ago, but are not currently swapping. Because VMWare doesn't actively re-check and put those pages back into memory, the machines still have values in "Memory Swapped". I wanted to add an "AND" operator to the alarm so that it will trigger if there is memory swapped AND the swap in or swap out rate is above 0 (therefore showing that were actually doing some swapping at the moment).

Similarly, I have some VMs that have no heartbeats being received...because they don't have VMWare tools (not compatible). Sure, I could add them to the exclusions, but just for the sake of argument, it would be cool to be able to monitor something like "No heartbeat received AND vmware tools is installed", therefore reducing false positives (not to mention when someone deploys a new machine that doesn't have vmware tools on it yet, it won't trigger a false positive).

Make sense at all?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Unfortunately, it’s not possible right in the moment. So, if you add several rules with the same severity level, Veeam ONE Monitor will trigger the alarm whenever conditions of any rule are met.

The scenario described above perfectly makes sense.

Thanks for the heads-up; highly-appreciated.