Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
withanh
Veteran
Liked: never
Full Name: Darhl

VM failing in backup job

Post by withanh »

Running VBR v6.0.0.164 x64 on Win08R2, hosts are all ESXi build 515841, vCenter is build 455964.

Very strange thing happened a couple of days ago, the case #'s 5177609 & 5177612. Note that I'm not sure why there's a second case #, but I do know that when I went back to the case to upload some screenshots, a second case was created and both the original & the new one has all the original attachments as well as the new screenshot attachments.

I started getting a VM failing in a backup job

Investigation showed that the agent couldn't run because the admin password was wrong.

Code: Select all

Line 3639: [07.03.2012 01:40:19] <01> Error    'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host:  [10.0.20.3]. Account: [<domain>\administrator].
Line 3640: [07.03.2012 01:40:19] <01> Error    Win32 error:Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
Line 3641: [07.03.2012 01:40:19] <01> Error     Code: 1326
While this may be true, that's not really the issue. The issue is that this VM is not part of this backup job. This backup job has a VMware folder plus a handful of individually assigned VMs:

Looking at the VMware folder it shows (and you can see the VM in the folder below):

This VM is also already part of it's own backup job, assigned by the group that it is in (and completes successfully there):

Support is telling me that this VM must be assigned to the backup job some how, but I just don't see it.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

h
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: VM failing in backup job

Post by Gostev »

Strange response from support, they should be able to see how the VM gets into the VM list from the debug log?
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Post by Ben Milligan »

Hi Darhl! Long time no talk. I only saw the retries for this one problem VM in the log that we have but I did see the child object retrieval showing some strange information:

This machine is being referred to by its host ref-id, NOT vCenter ID. Are you backing it up directly from a host in the other job? It appears that possibly an overlap of Ref-ID or object ID has confused our job. We'll be sure to update you in your case also.
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

Hey Ben,

Good to hear from you!

The VM isn't backing up directly from a host in the other job. It's part of a vCenter folder that's being backed up. If I'm not mistaken, those folders can only be accessed through vCenter and not from a host directly, right?

I'm uploading logs right now but they're pretty large (~215MiB) and still have about 20 minutes left.

h
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Post by Ben Milligan »

I almost pasted your log details in a public forum above where the details of the object were showing up above... oops! :)

I'll be able to dive in tonight - and let you know.

Thanks!
-B
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

Thanks! I appreciate it!

edit: I also appreciate you not posting the log details :D