Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
briaarm2
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian Armstrong

Agent won't install with ERROR_BAD_NETPATH despite credential test pass. Case: 06017933

Post by briaarm2 »

Whenever I try to add a PC to a group, the credentials test that they work, but when scanning or attempting to install, it comes back with this ERROR_BAD_NETPATH. I've verified that I can access the admin$ and C$ share from the Veeam server to the client PC. The RPC service and Remote Registry are started, the UAC is disabled. Firewall is off. I've done everything I can find and still have the issue. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Agent won't install with ERROR_BAD_NETPATH despite credential test pass. Case: 06017933

Post by Mildur »

Hi Brian

Just one idea, try to disable Remote UAC too on the client machine:
Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
DWORD: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
Value: 1

If that also doesn't work, please continue to work with your support case.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
briaarm2
Lurker
Full Name: Brian Armstrong

Re: Agent won't install with ERROR_BAD_NETPATH despite credential test pass. Case: 06017933

Post by briaarm2 »

Hi Fabian,
I've tried that trick as well to no avail.

I'm not sure why it is so hard to install an agent on a non-domain machine.
DeanCTS
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dean Anderson

Post by DeanCTS »

briaarm2 wrote: Apr 19, 2023 4:01 am Whenever I try to add a PC to a group, the credentials test that they work, but when scanning or attempting to install, it comes back with this ERROR_BAD_NETPATH. I've verified that I can access the admin$ and C$ share from the Veeam server to the client PC. The RPC service and Remote Registry are started, the UAC is disabled. Firewall is off. I've done everything I can find and still have the issue. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Have you tried to install the agent directly on the client rather than deploying it from VBR? Additionally, if you will set up a backup job to target a network share / shared folder - make sure it is not mapped or has credentials saved / cached on the client.
HammysHangout
Lurker
Full Name: William S

Post by HammysHangout »

I had the same issue, this is how i resolved it ( after doing all the above ) .

I made sure the computer name was registered in my network DNS Server.

I then used the machine name to connect ( ie, DESKTOP-XXXXXX. ) don't forget the "." , the login name is MACHINENAME\USERNAME format. it would not work using IP if the computer is stand alone.