Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
McKITGuys
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: McK Admins

Question re incremental copy not processed

Post by McKITGuys »

Hi all,

I get the error occasionally "incremental copy was not processed during previous copy interval".

- this is from a backup copy job
- the copy job is set to start each night at 10 pm (so as to save bandwidth to our offsite)
- it is a periodic copy

Question: will VBR "catch up" so that all incrementals will be in the chain after the next successful copy job? Or do I have to trigger a full backup or something?

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Question re incremental copy not processed

Post by Mildur »

Hi McK Admins

The backup server will try to copy the most recent restore point again when it starts the next interval (v11) or according to the schedule (v12). But it won't copy all missed incremental backups. If you want to make sure that you have "all restore points" copied, use an immediate backup copy job.
Or do I have to trigger a full backup or something?
No, just make sure that the source backup job is finished with creating the restore point when the backup copy job starts. And that the copy job must have enough time and bandwidth available to copy a single restore point within your copy time window.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
McKITGuys
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: McK Admins

Post by McKITGuys »

Hi,

- it looks like I can't switch from "periodic copy" to "immediate copy" now that these copy jobs have been running; is there a way to do that or do I have to re-create the copy jobs from scratch?

- can I still set the schedule to be within a time frame e.g. 8 pm to 7 am? This was to control bandwidth during working hours. The backups happen mostly between 10 and 11 so given your last comment ("make sure the source backup job is finished"), does this mean that I should set the schedule to be more like 12 am to 7 am?

Thanks,
Albert
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hello
- it looks like I can't switch from "periodic copy" to "immediate copy" now that these copy jobs have been running; is there a way to do that or do I have to re-create the copy jobs from scratch?
Switching period to immediate and back was not possible with pre-v12 backup copy jobs. The new copy job type is required.
- can I still set the schedule to be within a time frame e.g. 8 pm to 7 am? This was to control bandwidth during working hours. The backups happen mostly between 10 and 11 so given your last comment ("make sure the source backup job is finished"), does this mean that I should set the schedule to be more like 12 am to 7 am?
Are you on V11 or V12? What backup format does the source and copy job use? per-machine or Single-file backup (per-job backup chains).

The copy job should wait if the source job still has locked the backup files. After backup files are released by the source job, the copy job resumes to copy those restore points.
Scheduling at the same time is possible. But I would still wait to start a periodic copy jobs till the source job has finished it's copy.
Instead of using backup copy window, you could also use traffic rules to limit the traffic a backup copy job can use. This will save bandwidth to the remote site, but still allow backup copy jobs to run longer during the day.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software