Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Configuration Backup Copy Job?

Post by Mildur »

File copy Jobs works with Windows or Linux Server. If you have a CIFS/NFS Backup repository, it will not work.

Our helpcenter has documented the process and all supported Source/Destination types:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ahmedm
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Minhaj Ahmed

Post by ahmedm » 1 person likes this post

Yes you can do it and you can create a file copy job. This job you can manage to keep 10 days of backup and it will delete old jobs that are copied.
Go to Files/repository/Folder where where configuration job is being copied. Right click on it and click on Add to File copy job. This will create a new job where you can point where to copy the second copy of configuration backups. I hope this helps and resolve your issue.

Thanks
dloseke
Service Provider
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Derek M. Loseke

Post by dloseke »

I have a repo on a DFS share so the config is replicated via DFS to another location (just for the config database). Otherwise, I have the config database backed up to a separate location such as to a remote site, or to a VCC repo.
Derek M. Loseke, Senior Systems Engineer | Veeam Legend 2022-2023 | VMSP/VMTSP | VCP6-DCV | VSP/VTSP | CCNA | https://technotesanddadjokes.com | @dloseke
dloseke
Service Provider
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Derek M. Loseke

Post by dloseke »

adelamora wrote: Aug 31, 2021 3:29 pm All these options are TERRIBLE solutions for an MSP. Veeam really needs to provide something that incorporates into the rest of their suite. Something as simple as a checkbox on the service provider settings that allows VCSP to keep a copy of the configuration file. It's already pulling all sorts of metadata, it would be nearly trivial to include the configuration file as well.
As a MSP, I either have my clients config database to to a VCC repository (Iland) if available, or a repo at their secondary/recovery location if available, or to my own VCC/Service Provider Console server as I allocate a 1GB repository for the clients to target the config database to. I agree that the it would be nice for the SPC to pull the config automatically since it's already intergrated at some level, but it's really not hard to allocate a 1GB repo and after adding yourself as the Service Provider, update the config backup to target that repo. It's something like 5 clicks in all to do it.
Derek M. Loseke, Senior Systems Engineer | Veeam Legend 2022-2023 | VMSP/VMTSP | VCP6-DCV | VSP/VTSP | CCNA | https://technotesanddadjokes.com | @dloseke
ValiantMartian
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by ValiantMartian »

Mildur wrote: May 20, 2022 3:49 pm You can see the location in the configuration backup settings. Check the configured backup repository. The configuration backup will be stored on this backup repository in a *.bco file. Each time the configuration backup runs, a new bco file is generated.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
I see that, but I am unable to pick a backup repository as a source for a file copy job. Do I need to establish a special repository type for the main backup and then do a file copy job with THAT as a source?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

What type of repository is it? As Fabian has mentioned above, it should be either Windows or Linux Server, not a share.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

You must choose the server on which the backup repository is configured.
As an example, if you have a windows based backup repository (direct attached storage) named "BCK-REPOSITORY-01" on the windows server "WIN-SERVER-01", you must choose WIN-SERVER-01 in the File Copy Job wizard.

Can you tell my what type of repository do you use?
ValiantMartian
Enthusiast

Post by ValiantMartian »

foggy wrote: May 24, 2022 1:51 pm What type of repository is it? As Fabian has mentioned above, it should be either Windows or Linux Server, not a share.
Ahh - My repositories are all NAS units (SMB). In my case, I guess this means I need to set up a separate Windows backup repository, configure the main config backup to go to there, then create a File Copy job to go from there to a separate repository. Sound right?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, this will work. You can use a default repository installed as a part of the Veeam B&R server installation for that.
ValiantMartian
Enthusiast

Post by ValiantMartian » 1 person likes this post

I found that the File Copy Job only works FROM and TO Windows/Linux servers. In my case, I did end up changing the default backup location to be the default Veeam repository right on the Veeam B&R Server in C:\Backup. I was then able to set up a File Copy Job to copy files from there to a Veeam Gateway server we have sitting at another data center.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

veremin wrote: Feb 02, 2017 12:59 pm The second is already available in version 9.5.
The problem with performing a config backup to a cloud repo is that the cloud repo may actually be a SOBR behind the scenes, and config backup won't go to a SOBR (for a reason I don't know).
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

As stated earlier in the (merged) thread, some problems with using a File Copy job to copy the config to a secondary location is that the job doesn't handle versioning (i.e. you can't tell it to only keep the last 10 copies of the config), and it can't copy to a VCC repo.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Ability to backup and restore configuration to and from Scale-Out Backup Repository is tracked as requirement for post-v12 minor version.

This feature will support Cloud Connect case as well, meaning as soon as root requirement is implemented, the tenants will be able to store configuration in cloud repository.

Thanks!
vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: SP

[MERGED]VBR Config to multiple locations.

Post by vmtech123 »

Is this an option?

If not consider it a feature request. I'd like to have copies at multiple sites, Tape, Cloud, you name it.

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi SP

Moved your post to this topic.

Currently it‘s not possible to have a second configuration backup target.
But you can use File Copy Or Tape Jobs to make a second copy of the configuration backup files.

Thanks
Fabian
vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: SP

[MERGED]Feature Request

Post by vmtech123 »

The ability to send the config backup to more than 1 location, email it on a schedule and other options to streamline our DR.

I'm thinking worst case, I'll have to stack up a new Veeam server, connect to repos and hope for the best, if not the tape.

Having a way to get that config file fast, (cloud or cloud email account etc) would be great.

I guess I could script it, but allowing Veaam to send it to another file location on the network would be handy as well.
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Post by karsten123 »

and please make it available to send the config backup to a SOBR. please.
edh
Service Provider
Liked: 44 times
Full Name: Manuel Rios

Post by edh »

I think this is done in V12
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

@vmtech123
I moved your topic. Same answer is still valid.
But thanks for the request.

@karsten123
@edh
As my colleague Veremin wrote in June, we track it as a post-v12 minor requirement.
But we cannot provide any ETA when it will be released.
stevekarra
Technology Partner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Steve Karra

Post by stevekarra »

Is there a good solution to this today?

Ideally I'd like to see it land on something that supports immutability like the Hardened Linux repo.
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Post by FrancWest »

Same here’ll, you are able to select the Linux hardened repository sever as a target for the file copy job, but you can’t make it immutable. Also, as mentioned earlier in this thread there’s no versioning, so the config backups grow indefinitely on the target repo and because it’s a hardened repo, you can’t access it easily to delete the files manually.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi guys

We are planning to include immutability for the configuration backup in one of the next versions.

Best,
Fabian
fabioc88
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Fabio Cabrita

Default backup Repository with Veeam B&R Configuration backups but 0B Used after rescan

Post by fabioc88 » 1 person likes this post

Hello everyone,

Really don't know but seems like Default Backup Repository doesn't show the real amount of data there (have rescan already and nothing ...), and I am starting to believe that Veeam B&R Configuration Backup is not detected as a backup there, anyone here have ever encounter this issue? am I missing here something?

https://prnt.sc/TauIJDv4j9k-

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Likely you are right, based on your screenshot I guess the repository usage is calculated for workload backups only.
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Tim

Post by BackupBytesTim »

I can confirm the "Used Space" indicated for a repository doesn't check actual disk usage, it checks the size of the backups themselves. So if you're using something with deduplication or just looking for the space used by non-backup files (apparently including the config backups) then it won't be properly reflected in the "Used Space" column.
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider

Post by BackupBytesTim »

Is there a good method right now to copy the config backup to a VCC repository? File-Copy Jobs don't seem to let me select a VCC repository as the destination and I can't even doa one-time manual copy to the VCC repository. I can do a one-time manual copy with a third-party application, but that's not viable as an ongoing solution.

Also I'm assuming I can't backup directly to the VCC repository, but if that's supposed to be a thing, let me know cause then something might just be broken.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Configuration backups can go to cloud repositories (tested in V12), as long the cloud repository is not backed by a SOBR.
Any cloud repository on simple repository types will work: object storage, windows or linux repository, shared folder, etc.

Best,
Fabian
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider

Post by BackupBytesTim »

Okay... when I select the VCC repository as the destination I get an error that says it can't be restored. Even though I'm not trying to restore it yet. I assumed this was just a limitation, but maybe it's broken.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Yh2jE ... sp=sharing
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Post by tyler.jurgens »

How is your VCC repository created? If it's a SOBR, it won't work.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider

Post by BackupBytesTim »

It is not, it is just a standard Linux hosted repository. Uses XFS in a ZVOL.