Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kuroki
Novice
Liked: never

Instance type (size) of helper appliance to configure in Azure

Post by kuroki »

I am trying to configure a helper appliance in Azure (JapanWest) by referring to the manual at the following URL, but I cannot find a place to select the instance type (size) for the helper appliance.
Is it not possible to specify the instance type (size) for the helper appliance?

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

URL
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ba ... elper.html
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Instance type (size) of helper appliance to configure in Azure

Post by Mildur »

Hi Kuroki

Helper appliance is required for restoring Linux workloads as Azure VMs.
I can configure my helper instance when choosing "Enable direct restore of Linux-based machines" in the "subscription" step.

Maybe you want to create a Azure Restore Proxy Appliance for restoring data in Azure Blob as Azure VMs?
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
kuroki
Novice

Post by kuroki »

Yes, I can configure a helper appliance.
I can configure a helper appliance, but there does not appear to be a place to specify the instance type (size) of the helper appliance.

I am trying to backup a VMware (Linux) VM with VBR and restore it to Azure.
To restore to Azure, I need to create a helper appliance as described in the URL.
However, if I follow the URL, I cannot specify the instance type (size) of the helper appliance, so I was wondering if there is any way to specify it.

I was wondering if there is any way to specify the instance type (size). https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ba ... elper.html

Thank you in advance.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Kuroki

Thanks. There was a misunderstanding on my site.
I also don't see a way to configured the instance type of the helper appliance.
The helper appliance doesn't require to be sized. So we use a default instance type for all installations.
We start the appliance, mount the VM disks to it, run a script to prepare the VM disks for running in an Azure VM and then dismount the disks.
Appliance gets powered down. If you don't do regular restores, you can remove the appliance after a successful recovery.

Do you see an issue with the default instance type?

Best,
Fabian
kuroki
Novice

Post by kuroki »

Thank you for your response.
We understand that there is no way to configure the instance type.

When I try to create a helper appliance as per the URL instructions, I get the following error message.
I think the error is because the instance type "standardDLDSv5Family" is not available in the JapanWest region.
However, when I asked Azure support, I was told that "standardDLDSv5Family" is not supported in the JapanWest region in the first place.
I would like to know if you know the following.
・Why does VBR try to create a helper appliance with an instance type that is not supported?
・How can I make it so that the supported instance type is selected by default and the helper appliance is created?

■Error
Error: Failed to process request: (Conflict)
Operation could not be completed as it results in exceeding approved standardDLDSv5Family Cores quota: Deployment Model: Resource Manager, Location: japanwest, Current Limit: 0, Current Usage: 0, Additional Required: 2, (Minimum) New Limit Required: 2. for Quota increase at https://aka.ms/ProdportalCRP/#blade/Mic ... ers/%7B%22 subscriptionId%22:%225ccbee83-45bb-4e72-9631-5f6ac

Also, I was investigating the cause of this issue.
From the Region drop-down list, select a Microsoft Azure region.
Is "Global" correct? (I have a feeling this is the cause of the problem.)
The only options are "Global", "Germany", "China", and "Government".
Currently there is no "Japan", so I chose "Global".

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ba ... _type.html

Thank you in advance.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Thanks for your explanation.
Maybe we have an unofficial way to control the used instance. I need to check the details of this request.
Is "Global" correct? (I have a feeling this is the cause of the problem.)
The only options are "Global", "Germany", "China", and "Government".
Currently there is no "Japan", so I chose "Global".
As far as I know, Japan doesn't have a special offering. Japan region (Japan East and Japan West) is part of Azure Global.

Best,
Fabian
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hello Kuroki

Got an answer from our QA department.

Appliance VM size is not hard coded. It was hardcoded before 9.5 U4. In newer versions we choose dynamically the cheapest VM size available in the target subscription which fulfill with certain number of CPU, amount of RAM and other properties.

Operation could not be completed as it results in exceeding approved standardDLDSv5Family Cores quota: Deployment Model: Resource Manager, Location: japanwest, Current Limit: 0, Current Usage: 0, Additional Required: 2, (Minimum) New Limit Required: 2. for Quota increase at https://aka.ms/ProdportalCRP/#blade/Mic ... ers/%7B%22 subscriptionId%22:%225ccbee83-45bb-4e72-9631-5f6ac
Reading your error message we think, your VM size Standard_D2lds_v5 is available, but quota for this CPU family is 0. Please open the URL in this error message and try to request a quota increase. Small increases are processed automatically without long email exchange with Azure support. If they increase the quota for your subscription and VM size Standard_D2lds_v5, you will be able to deploy the helper appliance. If not, please open a case with our customer support and provide me with the case number.

However, when I asked Azure support, I was told that "standardDLDSv5Family" is not supported in the JapanWest region in the first place.
Appliance VM Size is from Dv5-series, which should be available in Japan West.

Best,
Fabian
kuroki
Novice

Post by kuroki »

Thank you for your response.

I understand that the cheapest VM size available for the target subscription is dynamically selected.

Does VBR not determine if the "CPU family quota capacity is available and available"?
Am I correct in thinking that the cheapest VM size available is dynamically selected even if there is no space available?
Also, even if there is space available, there may be quotas that cannot be used from the start and are therefore unavailable.
Does VBR not recognize this as well?

The CPU family quota (DLDSv5Family) that is the subject of this project is still in preview and was just announced last month.
Therefore, it feels strange as a mechanism that this quota is selected dynamically.
I would like to see a mechanism that allows me to select my own quota that is available for target subscriptions that meet certain CPU counts, amount of RAM, and other properties.

I am checking with Azure support again to see if standardDLDSv5Family is really not available for JapanWest.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
UweRa
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by UweRa »

Has anyone resolved this? Im having the same Problem (Case #05989185) and cant install any helper appliances in azure.

Azure-Errormessage:
""Operation could not be completed as it results in exceeding approved standardDLDSv5Family Cores quota. Additional details - Deployment Model: Resource Manager, Location: GermanyWestCentral, Current Limit: 0, Current Usage: 0, Additional Required: 2, (Minimum) New Limit Required: 2. Submit a request for Quota increase at https://aka.ms/ProdportalCRP/#blade/Mic ... 2quotas%22:[%7B%22location%22:%22GermanyWestCentral%22,%22providerId%22:%22Microsoft.Compute%22,%22resourceName%22:%22standardDLDSv5Family%22,%22quotaRequest%22:%7B%22properties%22:%7B%22limit%22:2,%22unit%22:%22Count%22,%22name%22:%7B%22value%22:%22standardDLDSv5Family%22%7D%7D%7D%7D]%7D by specifying parameters listed in the ‘Details’ section for deployment to succeed. Please read more about quota limits at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... a-requests"."

It was suggested to set one of the following registry-keys, but they had no effect (also tried a different value like "Standard_D4s_v3" which i definitely have quota for):

"Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication
Typ: REG_SZ
Name: AzureApplianceRmVmPremiumSizeDefault
Value: Standard_DS3

Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication
Typ: REG_MULTI_SZ
Name: AzureApplianceRmVmPremiumSizes
Value: { "Standard_DS1", "Standard_DS2", "Standard_DS3", "Standard_DS4", "Standard_DS5" }"

I cant increase the quota for standardDLDSv5Family since its only available in preview in germany west (already talked to azure-support): https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/explo ... l-machines

Kind Regards
Uwe
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Uwe

Thanks for your case number.
I believe, those registry keys were valid for older versions of Veeam. Since we have the automatic size detection logic, they are not active anymore. I'll check with QA.
We already have prepared a new key for v12 CP2 to overcome this limitation. The key will led you specify the instance family type. v12 CP2 should be released really soon (mid april).

Best,
Fabian
Mildur
Product Manager

Hi Uwe

Confirmed by QA.
The new key for v12 CP2 will solve your use case. I will update this topic when the new patch was released.

Code: Select all

Name: AzureApplianceRmVmSizeOverride
Type: REG_SZ
Value: Standard_DS3
Best,
Fabian
Mildur
Product Manager

Hi Guys

The patch is released for the Reg Key:

P20230412
https://www.veeam.com/kb4420

Best,
Fabian
UweRa
Novice

Post by UweRa »

Thank you! With the patch and the registry-key i can now set the size of the HelperAppliance.

However when restoring a Linux-VM to Azure, at the step "Performing conversion", Veeam tries to create another VM (Helper Appliance?) and again tries to use a VM-Size that I have no quota for:

"Operation could not be completed as it results in exceeding approved standardDLDSv5Family Cores quota. Additional details - Deployment Model: Resource Manager, Location: GermanyWestCentral, Current Limit: 0, Current Usage: 0, Additional Required: 2, (Minimum) New Limit Required: 2. Submit a request for Quota increase at https://aka.ms/ProdportalCRP/#blade/Mic ... 2quotas%22:[%7B%22location%22:%22GermanyWestCentral%22,%22providerId%22:%22Microsoft.Compute%22,%22resourceName%22:%22standardDLDSv5Family%22,%22quotaRequest%22:%7B%22properties%22:%7B%22limit%22:2,%22unit%22:%22Count%22,%22name%22:%7B%22value%22:%22standardDLDSv5Family%22%7D%7D%7D%7D]%7D by specifying parameters listed in the ‘Details’ section for deployment to succeed. Please read more about quota limits at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... a-requests"

Since the DLDSv5-Family is now available in Germany West Central, im trying to get a Quota-Increase, but if it doesn't work, is there another registry-key to change the VM-Size for the Helper Appliance that is used for performing the VM-conversion?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
Uwe
UweRa
Novice

Post by UweRa »

Opened Case #06066060 to investige further
UweRa
Novice

Post by UweRa » 1 person likes this post

Current state:

When restoring a linux-vm, Veeam tries to update the existing helper appliance (Size Standard_F4s_v2) to another VM-Size (DLDSv5-Family, which i have no quota for and is not available in my azure-region) at the step "Performing conversion". Because it cant upgrade, the step "Performing conversion" fails and the VM cant boot.

Anyone found a solution for this? (Case #06066060)
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Uwe

Thank you for the case number.
If there is no solution in the case, please ask your engineer to escalate the case.
You can also use the Talk to a Manager button if you want to priorize the case:
https://www.veeam.com/kb2320

Best,
Fabian
UweRa
Novice

Post by UweRa »

After Veeam-Support provided me with a fix where I had to replace a dll-file, restoring is now possible again. I'm not allowed to post the link to the fix, but if you have the same problem you can reference my case number #06066060
robvh
Novice
Full Name: R. van Halteren

Post by robvh »

Veeam has now released an official patch to target this issue
Look for kb4420
kuroki
Novice

Post by kuroki »

This matter has been successfully resolved.
Thank you very much.
hanineghali
Novice
Full Name: Hanine Ghali

Post by hanineghali »

Dear I have the same issue,
Veeam resolved the creation error of the Linux helper appliance in Azure,
but when you restore it is still making a conflict error ....
as yousaid maybe there is a DLL file that shall be changed but I have no hint where!!
May you help since I am testing the restore and I need it urgently?

Case #06310291
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Veeam support will provide you with the hotfix after verifying you're experiencing the matching issue.

If you are testing the product capabilities with intent to purchase, you should use a Trial license and open your support case from under this license, as opposed to using a Free license. For more information about differences in support SLAs between different product licenses, see the forum rules.
hanineghali
Novice

Post by hanineghali »

Thanks for the reply,
another case opened using a trial license,
Case #06319939
hanineghali
Novice

Post by hanineghali »

As a work around and after I requested from Azure to add for me 2 CPU in the family Standard B2s v2:
1. I removed the edit of the registry file and kept value as empty Value Name: AzureApplianceRmVmSizeOverride as in https://www.veeam.com/kb4462
Value Data: (an empty string is the default value) (((empty value means it will use Standard b2s_v2 family)))
2. After the helper appliance is created on Azure i resized it to standard d4sv2
3. I ran the restore process and it was successful and it took around 7 mins not as before 15 mins with conflicts (where veeam resized the helper again to Standard B2s v2
4. The VM shows now as Linux and the network configuration is working fine.
Case #06319939

Although this is a workaround but it is not a practical solution since in every restore you must size the helper appliance to a different family if you have only 2 CPU in Standard B2s v2 family or you must request from Azure 4 CPU or more in the mentioned family.