Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Mehnock
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Christopher Navarro

Backup Job failed - Unable to access VDDK disk

Post by Mehnock » 2 people like this post

So for the past three days, my Backup Job has been failing with error: Failed to open VDDK disk for all my 10 VMs.

So I googled the error and it seemed to have to do with SSL access to the ESXi hosts bot being enabled, but I had not changed anything.

I rebooted my Veam Server and that did not help, then I rebooted the backup repository server - running on Ubuntu 20 LTS and that did not work.

What fixed it was rebooting the Backup proxy servers, both running Ubuntu 20 LTS, when I logged in one rebooted with no problems, the other would not let me reboot it, "failed to open initctl fifo" so I had to force it with sudo reboot -f

My backups are running now.

Linux also needs a reboot every now and then!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backup Job failed - Unable to access VDDK disk

Post by PetrM »

Hi Christopher,

We really appreciate your initiative to share this information with the Community! However, I must note that the error message is quite generic and can be provoked by many different causes, therefore contacting our support team would be one of the best possible moves as well.

Thanks!
BradWilson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brad Wilson

Post by BradWilson »

For most companies, their forums are for questions and solutions to problems, common or not. The Veeam forums I must say are one of the let downs for the software since the bottled reply of contacting the support team is the usual "solution".
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Brad,

Our main purpose is to ensure the efficient research and processing of any technical issue but I hardly envision how would it be possible to carry out a technical analysis without debug logs examination and remote session. Our support team has all the instruments required for troubleshooting including their internal knowledge base, case handling strategies, logs research and remote desktop tools.

I'm not ready to speak for other companies who provide solutions to technical issues on their forums, mainly because I cannot properly assess the quality of these solutions. However, we always share KB-s, and links to the documentation, or to other topics in case we're discussing a "known" issue. Unfortunately, there is no universal solution to the error "Unable to access VDDK disk" which works in every case.

Please have a look at this topic to get a better idea about rules of posting technical issues and forum purposes.

Thanks!