Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kchtang
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Tang

Switch from EMC Networker to Veeam, now VHD mounted drive backup does not work

Post by kchtang »

Hello everyone

We have a windows machine with drives (e.g. F:\) which is mounted from VHD.
In the past we can use EMC Networker to backup these drive like normal windows drive.
However when we switched to Veeam, the Veeam agent simply does not see these drive during backup.
I done some research and found that it seems related to VSS snapshot does not recognize VHD drive, opened a case and support also confirmed this.
So I am now wondering how does EMC Networker be able to do the backup in the first place?
I am now use Veeam file share backup on those drive as a alternative, but still they are slower than agent backup.
Is there anyway I can make the windows agent backup work?
Thanks.
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Re: Switch from EMC Networker to Veeam, now VHD mounted drive backup does not work

Post by haslund »

In another post it was suggested to mount the volume via iSCSI instead, see: veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/backup-of-v ... 69135.html

This would make the drive visible to VSS. Could this be an option for you?
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
kchtang
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Tang

Re: Switch from EMC Networker to Veeam, now VHD mounted drive backup does not work

Post by kchtang »

Hello haslund

Thanks for your suggestion, but I prefer not to change how the way the VHD was mount. I think I will prefer to use Veeam file share backup instead.
However I am just curious why EMC Networker can do the same thing while Veeam cannot.......