Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Kazz
Expert
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Kazz Beck

slow backup to Wasabi

Post by Kazz »

Hi,

We have a 10Gbps internet pipe. Just added Wasabi as a repository. I am only getting 77MBps (616Mbps) transfer speed to Wasabi with Veeam showing target being the bottleneck.

Has anyone been able to send backups to wasabi faster or the transfer speeds I am getting is the norm?

Thanks

Code: Select all

[10.11.2023 16:42:58.326] <33> Info [API] DestroyLease.Success, leaseId: [03330ecc-04bc-450b-a1ab-df3dd48a9ebb]
[10.11.2023 16:42:58.326] <33> Info Busy: Source 0% > Proxy 13% > Network 0% > Target 98%
[10.11.2023 16:42:58.342] <33> Info Primary bottleneck: Target
[10.11.2023 16:42:58.342] <33> Info Job progress: '99%', '93,415,538,688' of '93,415,538,688' bytes, '93,415,538,688' of '93,415,538,688' used bytes, object '1' of '1', totals calculated: No
[10.11.2023 16:42:58.357] <33> Info Task session [9b222f5a-befe-4069-a6cd-000fc5b5d590] has been completed, status: Success, 93,415,538,688 of 93,415,538,688 bytes, 93,415,538,688 of 93,415,538,688 used bytes, 7 of 7 objects, details:
[10.11.2023 16:43:03.142] <50> Info [ReconnectableSocket][StopCondition] Stop confirmation was received on [c121759f-4d9c-4a62-8fa5-13ff59919d2d].
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: slow backup to Wasabi

Post by Mildur »

Hi Kazz

Please open a case with our customer support team to check the logs for any issues. We cannot do so over a forum post. And a case number is always required for any sort of technical issue. Please don't forget to share the case number with us here.
I also recommend to contact Wasabi support. It may be possible that you are throttled on their side. Our own support should be able to confirm it.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Kazz
Expert

Post by Kazz »

Hi Fabian,

I was not looking for any troubleshooting assistance, I just wanted to know what other Wasabi customers are seeing in terms of transfer speeds from their environments. I can open a support request, but not sure if Veeam would be able to provide any information on that topic.

Thanks
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

You can also contact Wasabi and ask them to remove the throttling they do on their end by default. I had to ask them for the accounts we use to send our MGMT VM backups to.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
cristiano.cumer
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Cristianno Cumer

Post by cristiano.cumer »

Hi Kazz,

did you manage to improve your wasabi performance?
Kazz
Expert

Post by Kazz »

Hi,

Wasabi support got back saying they don't throttle, I am checking with the network team internally.
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

I'm not sure why Wasabi Support would say they don't throttle when they do. I work for a large Canadian MSP, and I had to contact them to remove the throttling for us on our backup jobs. I would love to see documentation to prove that. :)
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Post by ober72 »

Interesting. I would have thought that all cloud providers would have at least some throttling to protect themselves. Let's see what you discover.
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

The question is, did they say that they don't throttle at all, or only that they didn't throttle in this particular case? :wink:

Regarding what's possible from a performance point of view.
I did a some tests about a year ago and achieved over 2Gbit/s from Wasabi "eu-central-2" to Azure.
Keep in mind that this was just a quick test without any detailed analysis. So it could have been possible that Azure limited the performance.
Also it maybe different depending on region, workload, etc.

So for your case I would suggest that you keep working with Veeam and/or Wasabi support.
chrisWasabi
Technology Partner
Liked: 35 times

Post by chrisWasabi » 3 people like this post

Hey All,

This response is not a solution to the OP's problem.

Wasabi has a limit of 250 TCP connections initiated in 1 minute window period from a single source IP address; this used to be 100 but was raised within the past 6 months. That is the only type of "throttling" on the Wasabi side. If you are being throttled, you will receive a response code that says you are being throttled. When customers ask to remove throttling, their account is checked to see if they are hitting the TCP connection limit. There is no message(GET/PUT/POST/etc...) throttling. For example, if a client opens as many TCP connections as needed from the start and then uses TCP connection reuse to keep them up, you can send as many S3 API requests as possible. This also means you can open more than 250 TCP connections from a single source IP address as long as you do not attempt to open more than 250 within the 1 minute window.

Most of the time, this TCP connection limit isn't the issue; however, it is more frequently seen for larger MSPs / VCSPs sending many backups at once. As we know, Veeam, by default, opens up 64 connections for each configured task, which can quickly run into the TCP connection limit for larger jobs. If you send 1TB, we equate this to ~1 million objects. Veeam will open 64 connections to start copying 64 objects. Each thread is independent, so after a single object has finished copying, the TCP connection is closed, and a new one is opened. These transfers happen fairly quickly since the default block size is 1MB. So what is seen is a ring of opening and closing 64 TCP connections until the ~1 million objects are finished copying. With a single VM attempting to be transferred simultaneously, you should never encounter any TCP connection limit. You shouldn't encounter this limit even with 3 VMs copying simultaneously. After that, you will open and close too many TCP connections in the 1-minute window period and start encountering errors with connection limits.

Now, attempting to send many VMs simultaneously to achieve a higher throughput is not necessarily what you want to do. For every VM, 64 connections are opening; at the 3 VM point, you will be at 192 connections opening, closing, and sending simultaneously. I equate this to a similar scenario, the ISO downloading issue. Back in the day, you want to download an ISO. The ISO is 4GB in size. Nothing happens when you click on a browser link, so you click on it a few more times. Now, it finally responds, and you download eight instances of the same ISO simultaneously. But instead of getting the total throughput of a single download, your download per ISO is <available speed> / 8. Instead of completing in 25 minutes, you have 8 running, each taking 4 hours. When backing up your VM's, would you rather have a single VM complete faster, then move on to the next VM, or the alternative would be trying to send 3 VM's, saturate the connection, and have them take 24 hours to complete a single VM.

In addition to using more CPU/Memory that needs to be accounted for on the VM/Veeam itself, your per-object transfer speed is also reduced. If you have a 1Gbit internet connection, assuming you can reach full speed to the Wasabi Vault, minus 10% for networking overhead. Copying 3 VMs simultaneously reduces the per object transfer speed to ~4.5Mbit. Chances are, with a speed test and routing, your full speed to the Vault will not be at the line rate. In addition, the more work you attempt to do at one time, the chance for the network/route to be saturated, causing packet loss, retransmission, latency, etc...This will make your backups take even longer.

Again, this is not a solution to OPs question, with 10Gb you are more likely to hit into these types of scenarios because you increase the tasks to achieve higher performance, thus hitting the TCP limit. Multiple proxies, each with a different source IP, are one solution to the problem; the other could be to get your TCP connection limit raised.

Either way, if you are hitting the TCP connection limit, you should know that you hit it. Veeam will show it in the response.

In OP's case, it looks like it's a single VM transfer of ~94GB, which isn't too much. I have recently seen speed tests from customers achieving 30Gbit over the public internet.

@Kazz

If you want to message me your Wasabi support ticket, I will take a look.

Thanks,
@ChrisWasabi
cristiano.cumer
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Cristianno Cumer

Post by cristiano.cumer »

Hi @ChrisWasabi,

Thank you for the explanation!
I would like to ask if the 250 connection limit per minute is configured per bucket or per tenant/region? Also, is there a way to determine if one is hitting this limit?

Thanks
chrisWasabi
Technology Partner
Liked: 35 times

Post by chrisWasabi » 1 person likes this post

Hi @Cristiano,

That's a good question. It's on a per-region basis and not specific to anything like account/bucket/prefix.
Simply, a single SRC IP cannot create more than 250 TCP connections to a region in a 1 minute period.

The way you would determine if you are hitting the limit is that you will receive a HTTP Response that says "S3 error: Account Connection Limited", if you are able to look at the contents of the HTTP Response in the Veeam logs, it actually tells you how many you have attempted.

Thanks,
@ChrisWasabi