Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mazhar
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Unable to reinstall Veeam Backup and Restore on Windows server 2022

Post by mazhar »

Hi, I have a Windows 2022 VM that was running 12.0 version of Veeam Backup & Restore. My plan was to update to 12.1.
Running setup from the iso for 12.1 gave errors to uninstall the old version first. I did that. Now when I run setup from the iso for 12.1, I get an error saying "An error has occurred. This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." How can I get 12.1 installed on this machine?
Thank you in advance for your help,
--Moby
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Unable to reinstall Veeam Backup and Restore on Windows server 2022

Post by Mildur »

Hi Moby

Our installer should not force someone to uninstall the previous version of Veeam Backup & Replication before an upgrade.

To investigate this issue, please open a case with our customer support team. Collect the logs manually by zipping the entire content of %ProgramData%\Veeam\Backup and upload it to the support case.
Please note, topics about technical issues without a case number provided may be deleted by a moderator.

I strongly recommend to also solve the reinstallation issue with our support team. My own solution would be to remove anything related to Veeam from ProgramFiles and registry. Then try again to install the product and import the configuration backup. This should be done under guidance of our support team if this is a production environment. It can do more harm than solve the issue.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mazhar
Novice

Post by mazhar »

Thank you Fabian, this is the community edition (free). Does it allow me to open support cases? Also, I have uninstalled all components of Veeam from the machine, removed directories from disk for it (including the programdata you mention). Now, running setup.exe to install it again gives an error that "this action is valid only for products that are currently installed". This happens simply after launching setup.exe from the root directory of the iso media file.

Regards,
--Moby
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Please do read the link Fabian shared, it answers your question.
mazhar
Novice

Post by mazhar »

Opened case # 07054018.

Thanks,
--Moby