Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 388 times

Our 12.1 experience

Post by mkretzer » 10 people like this post

Hello all,

in the past i was not the biggest V12 fan (seen veeam-backup-replication-f2/mkretzer-s- ... 90180.html). But i must say V12.1 is nearly perfect! All our problems are gone now:
- BCJs are very fast
- All tape issues are fixed
- Interface is very fast
- No strange job failures

We mainly have two cosmetic issues:
- In Tape Jobs the statistic does not show all objects while job is running and also the total data amount is not correct. But the report shows the individual objects correctly.
- Log collection does not collect all job logs, only general logs.

Thanks to Veeam Dev Team for the great work!

Markus
DonZoomik
Service Provider
Liked: 120 times
Full Name: Mihkel Soomere

Re: Our 12.1 experience

Post by DonZoomik »

- In Tape Jobs the statistic does not show all objects while job is running and also the total data amount is not correct. But the report shows the individual objects correctly.
Noticed the same, but it seems cosmetic so didn't bother to create a case yet.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 3 people like this post

Story of every major release's life... of any software and of any vendor whatsoever :D
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 388 times

Post by mkretzer » 2 people like this post

@Gostev i only wish that every vendor gets their stuff fixed in such a short time when problems were happening in so many areas of the product.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 2 people like this post

Big THANK YOU for the feedback guys, will gladly share it with RnD folks and we will continue the investigate the mentioned issues for sure!
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Post by pufferdude » 1 person likes this post

The only thing missing from 12.1 is reverting the terrible 12.0 decision to remove free file-to-tape jobs. 🤓
JustBackupSomething
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Luke Marshall

Post by JustBackupSomething » 1 person likes this post

Just adding 2 cents from our recent experience as well. All 4 of our sites (and several internal) worked more or less flawlessly.

We did have a partial upgrade failure state that left some components in a strange state. but other than that no major issues it appears from the software side. I wouldn't mind a version number of the different components being placed on the console. it was interesting when going through each machine and seeing some v11 VeeamInstallerSvc components still installed and running that had not been upgraded.
JaySt
Service Provider
Liked: 75 times
Full Name: JaySt

Post by JaySt » 1 person likes this post

I've noticed on several installations where it's quite difficult to close the console since v12.1. Takes quite some time but eventually closes normally. Feels like a hang during closing. Anything known about that?
Veeam Certified Engineer
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello guys,
I wouldn't mind a version number of the different components being placed on the console. it was interesting when going through each machine and seeing some v11 VeeamInstallerSvc components still installed and running that had not been upgraded.
Thank you for the feedback! It's a known technical limitation unfortunately, but we are looking into way to address it. Meanwhile support team is preparing the official KB article.
I've noticed on several installations where it's quite difficult to close the console since v12.1. Takes quite some time but eventually closes normally. Feels like a hang during closing. Anything known about that?
Could be infrastructure specific issue, any chance you have support case ID? Thank you!
JaySt
Service Provider

Post by JaySt » 2 people like this post

Could be infrastructure specific issue, any chance you have support case ID? Thank you!
no support ticket yet. Not sure if it's infrastructure specific, because most v12.1 installs i've encountered now have increased console closing times. The time it takes is different per infrastructure (specs) but the trend is noticable increased closing times.
Will keep a further eye on it and perhaps create a ticket for one of those installs.
Veeam Certified Engineer
JustBackupSomething
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Luke Marshall

Post by JustBackupSomething »

Hi Team,
Dima P. wrote: ↑Jan 18, 2024 8:55 am Thank you for the feedback! It's a known technical limitation unfortunately, but we are looking into way to address it. Meanwhile support team is preparing the official KB article.
Could query this using WMI, or pull from the log file headers as a "brute force" option. Im not sure what KB you might be referring to but if you have a new one regarding updates, id be curious to have a read.
JaySt
Service Provider

Post by JaySt »

Dima P. wrote: ↑Jan 18, 2024 8:55 am Could be infrastructure specific issue, any chance you have support case ID? Thank you!
# 07094642
Ran into a pretty odd but reproducable issue it seems. Have a look first and curious what you think.
Veeam Certified Engineer