Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Satman
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Pero Perić

Mail notification problem

Post by Satman »

Hi, Veeam agent just stop sending mail notifications after successful backup !
It seams to me that the problem started after 6.1.0.349 update but I am not sure.
Notification is configured with SMTP server on port 587 with SSL/TLS and - what is most peculiar - it works when I press "Test Now" button, but after backup there is no message.

Any Ideas?!?

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Mail notification problem

Post by Mildur »

Hi Pero

First question from me, what's the case number as requested by our forum policy? Without a case number this post may be deleted. We simply cannot investigate this sort of issues over a forum post.
Veeam agent just stop sending mail notifications after successful backup !
Does it work for backup session with warning or errors?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Satman
Influencer

Post by Satman »

Hello Fabian,
First, I don't have a case number! I use the free version of the agent for my own needs, so I don't believe I have the right to any support. On the other hand, I've always seen forums - including this one - as a place for informal questions and answers from people who know more than I do.
If this is not such a place, please direct me to something like that.
You have always been a very helpful person with answers to many questions, but if that doesn't work anymore... what can we do.

To answer the second question... No, the agent does not send a message even when the backup is unsuccessful (I just unplugged the external drive and ran a backup that could not find the destination path).
I don't know if I was clear in the first post... if I start the backup manually (backup Now button), then after the backup I get a message that it was successful, but if the scheduler starts it, then there is no message.

Thank you
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hello Pero

We are unfortunately not a support forum.
Most of the time, investigating the log is required. We have our customer support for this investigation. They are trained experts on understanding our log files and have the right tool and knowledge todo so.

As a free user, you are eligible to open a support case. Response time is on best effort. Which means, if our support engineers have free capacity, they will take over cases from our free users as well.

You may check the agent log yourself. SMTP connections are logged in this file:
- Mail testing is logged here: "C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint\Svc.VeeamEndpointBackup.log"
- Job Session mail is logged here: "C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint\<JOB_NAME>\Job.<JOB_NAME>.log"

At the end of the job log, you should see the error why the mail couldn't be send.

Best,
Fabian
Satman
Influencer

Post by Satman »

Thank you

When you stop answering, I will stop asking :-)

...you already taught me that once.. so I checked before but nothing seems suspicious to me...

[01.02.2024 10:34:36] <01> Info [BackupJobPostActivity] Need post activity
[01.02.2024 10:34:36] <01> Info [DB] Generating xml report for sessions: [93f2c95c-0540-4995-ba3f-b9c0c46b721e]
[01.02.2024 10:34:36] <01> Info [DB] Transforming xml report to html report
[01.02.2024 10:34:36] <01> Info Sending email notification, server 'mail.xxxxxx.eu', port '587', timeout '180000', use ssl 'True', to 'xxxx@xxxxx.eu'
[01.02.2024 10:34:37] <01> Info [StorageLock] Unlocking storage, lockId: '1936a580-3866-4853-a405-36a73c97ae01'
[01.02.2024 10:34:37] <01> Info [SleepLocker] Disable sleep prevention
[01.02.2024 10:34:37] <01> Info Close management connection

After "sending" there is no obvious error message...
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Understood :D
Looks to me like the mail was send out successfully. Have you checked the junk/spam folder in your mailbox? :)
If not, the next step is to check with the mail server administrator (from mail.xxxxxx.eu) what has happened to the mail after they received it.

Best,
Fabian
Satman
Influencer

Post by Satman »

Hi, Fabian
Thanks for the wise recommendations
Let me catch you up
Since I administer my mail server myself via CPanel, I carefully checked, but there is no trace anywhere that messages about a successful backup have reached the server.
Now I did the following: on my router, I capture the moment when the server on which the backup is taking place contacts my mail server.
I see this every time I manually test the mail, but I'm interested in whether it will happen after the automatic backup, or whether the mail goes out or not.

I will post the results

Still waiting for you to blow me off

:-D
Satman
Influencer

Post by Satman »

Dear Fabian,

..here is what happened..

I set a trap on my router to see if the agent will try to send mail after the scheduled backup.
He tried!
At midnight and 32 minutes he made a backup and sent an email.
I didn't receive it again!

Now this is really beyond my comprehension.
It also seems to me that the solution is not related to the Agent at all, but I also don't know where to look for an answer anymore.
Anyway, thanks for the wise advice and guidance, you've been very helpful as usual.

Best regards
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Pero

Thanks for the feedback from your testing.
I suggest you reach out to the support team where you have booked this webhosting service (you mentioned cpanel, therefore I assume it's a paid webservice somewhere). They may have access to the logs of the mail server.

Best,
Fabian
Brockmire
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by Brockmire »

Your sending mail server says it was sent, this is likely an issue on the recipient end (as you would have a bounce/rejection response in your inbox if the sending mail server was the issue side). As a test, change the destination address to another email server/account (ie, if using gmail, try outlook.com account and vice versa). If possible, use a mail server where you have logs of the received emails (ie, cpanel/directadmin, etc).