Agentless, cloud-native backup for Microsoft Azure
mbroaders
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Martin Broaders

Updating/Upgrading Veeam Backup for Azure When Managed by VBR

Post by mbroaders »

I just wanted to get updated guidance on patching Veeam Backup For Azure appliances when managed by VBR. As far as i know, it is not supported to run the WebUI Veeam Updater service and update in that manner and the only way is to update when there is a patch/upgrade installed in VBR and using the update option from within VBR. Is this accurate still?
We have had some concerns expressed over the fact that there is often important security updates showing as available in the WebUI that may not get patched for several weeks or months due to having to wait for VBR to have a new patch/update released. Maybe i am missing something though?
johan.h
Veeam Software
Liked: 182 times
Full Name: Johan Huttenga

Re: Updating/Upgrading Veeam Backup for Azure When Managed by VBR

Post by johan.h »

Security updates for Ubuntu may not necessarily affect VBAZ/VBR functionality as long as VBR <-> VBAZ versions remain compatible, and the WebUI updater is recommending the security update.
To be safe, updating in VBR is the best way to go about this, version compatibility details can be found here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbazu ... patibility
mbroaders
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Martin Broaders

Post by mbroaders » 2 people like this post

Thanks Johan. It would be great if in a future update it was possible to have a better workflow around this when they are managed. Maybe some better integration with VBR to apply patches that will not break compatibility or some method for scheduled updates for compatible patches.
johan.h
Veeam Software
Liked: 182 times
Full Name: Johan Huttenga

Post by johan.h »

Yes, I'm told there are some plans to improve this in a future version, for now the VBR plugin currently only cares about VBAZ service updates.
oscarm
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Oscar Muntenaar

Post by oscarm »

I have installed a vbaz and have it managed by a vbr server. I noticed when logging on to the webgui there were quite some updates for the appliance. In the VBR server I did not see any option in updating just the appliance. In the end I used the update feature from the webinterface and updated the appliance that way. I noticed some Ubuntu security updates, so again I have updated the appliance from the webinterface.

It probably will be a different story if you have to upgrade the appliance to a newer version, but to keep it updated within the appliance version I see no other option than to use the update manager from within the appliance webgui.