Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Roendi
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eigenmann

Off Host Backup High CPU Load

Post by Roendi »

Hi

I have tested now Off Host Backup with 6.0. For me at the Moment it works but I have, if the Job start to copy Data any Time 100 % CPU load on a new installed Server without any other Application (No Antivirus Agent).
The actually Server is a 2 Proc Intel Xeon 2.5 GHz Quad Core with 32 GB Ram.

Any Idea for this Problem?

Kind regards

Röndi
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Off Host Backup High CPU Load

Post by foggy »

What are the bottleneck stats numbers and data processing rates for this job? What is the compression level? The jobs actually put pretty heavy load on CPU due to inline compression and deduplication and if, according to stats, the bottleneck is proxy, it says for the under-powered backup proxy server. You can try to disable compression in the job settings or set it to a lower level, this would take some load off the proxy server CPU (at the cost of larger backup files, though), and see whether it helps.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Re: Off Host Backup High CPU Load

Post by Gostev »

Hi,

Why do you think this is a problem at all? Of course, if you have very fast source and backup storage, then your proxy will use all the CPU resources available. We are talking here about on-the-fly deduplication and compression of hundreds MB/s data stream, that's huge amount of work for the CPU. Just try zipping any large file on your desktop, and see how CPU load spikes in the Task Manager during this process.

Now, of course, if you only see the job running at just a few MB/s, yet your CPUs stays at 100%, that would be a problem to investigate for sure. Your proxy server has a very good spec (8 cores), and I would only expect it to be fully loaded when doing full backups with over 100MB/s throughput.

Thanks!