Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bautistalatam2025
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: José Daniel Bautista Cruz

SOAP connection is not available

Post by bautistalatam2025 »

Hello, Regards to all!! :idea:
I have the following soap connection problem, it is a sporadic message, it does not always appear
I have different remote sites, all data centers point to a vCenter version 7.0.3.01700

Already validate the following tests:

Network is validated: network traffic, origin, destination, open ports
Veeam server performance: Memory, CPU
vCenter performance: cpu memory, disks
DNS resolution is validated from the veeam server and proxies
host file was edited, FQDN and vcenter IP address were added
Antivirus exclusions added
New proxy added to isolate the issue

As a temporary solution, the jobs are pointed directly to the ESXi, this way the backups no longer fail

A new server is installed and the vcenter backups are configured again, the Soap message is still displayed

In a different data center, where there was vCenter version 6.7, a new vCenter is installed, with the latest version 7.0.3.01700, 50 jobs are run, 49 jobs completed and 1 job fails and the message appears
I'm still checking how I can remove that message from the soap, if anyone has an idea

I ADD FULL ERROR MESSAGE:

5/14/2024 12:21:22 AM :: Processing hostnamevm Error: Cannot authenticate user.
Soap fault. Detail: '', endpoint: ''
SOAP connection is not available. Connection ID: [IP-VCENTER].
Failed to reconnect to storage. Storage: [stg:datastore-77994,nfchost:host-78040,conn:IP-VCENTER]. Storage display name: [VOL434].
Failed to create NFC download stream. NFC path: [nfc://conn:IP-VCENTER,nfchost:host-78040,stg:datastore-77994@HOSTNAME-VM/-000001.vmdk].
Agent failed to process method {Transfer.FileToText}.

Case #07240552
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 365 times

Re: SOAP connection is not available

Post by david.domask »

Hi bautistalatam2025, welcome to the forums.

Thank you for sharing the case number, and sorry to hear about the challenges here.

I can see recently the case was escalated to Veeam's Advanced Support Team, so please allow the Engineers some time to review the situation. I can see there has been indeed a lot of testing, and your patience is much appreciated as I can imagine this was a bit of work on your side.

At first blush it does look like just a networking issue or maybe something on the vCenter side, but it's best to let the Advanced Support team review the details on the case; I can see you have network captures included which is much appreciated.

(off-topic, but should note that based on your error there, looks like you have some machines with leftover snapshot files:

> Failed to create NFC download stream. NFC path: [nfc://conn:IP-VCENTER,nfchost:host-78040,stg:datastore-77994@HOSTNAME-VM/-000001.vmdk].

I'm not confident it's related to your issue, but just more an FYI that it might be worth checking for leftover snapshot delta files if you don't see anything in the snapshot manager.)
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
bautistalatam2025
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: José Daniel Bautista Cruz

Post by bautistalatam2025 »

after a long list of tests, It's already resolved,
The domain account had the 3 minute and 20 second delay, corresponding to the 200,000 millisecond timeout

the issue pertains specifically to the authentication functionality of the vCenter server.
occurred when using an Active Directory account, due to intermittent delays in the relay of authentication from the vCenter server to the/a domain controller

A local vmware account was configured and the problem was resolved, thanks to the veeam support team
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 365 times

Post by david.domask »

Hi Jose,

Oh that's quite a root cause, thank you very much for sharing it. I hadn't considered that domain authentication would present like this but I can understand it. Appreciate your patience and cooperation while working with the Support Team and again for sharing the results. :)
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst