Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
LeoJBI
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Leo Hernandez

Adding a Repository...

Post by LeoJBI »

Hello,

I am attempting to add more storage capacity to my Backup Infrastructure (I am using Veeam 6.0).

I am trying to target a Drobo datastore with 8TB. However, when I use the wizard for "Backup Infrastructure", it seems to be looking only for physically attached storage. I cannot find any datastores that are located in my VM Cluster.

How would I use a datastore?
Jfmoots
Veeam Software
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: James Moots

Re: Adding a Repository...

Post by Jfmoots » 1 person likes this post

Veeam won't target a datastore by itself. If you're set on using a datastore you'd need to create a VMDK on that datastore, assign it to a virtual machine (of the Windows OS variety) and use that machine at your repository. If your Veeam environment is virtual, if can be your existing Veeam backup server or a proxy.

If it were me, I'd avoid using the Drobo as a datastore. I'd provision access to that Drobo from a physical or virtual Windows machine and configure that as my repository. Otherwise, you have to live within the limits of a VMDK.
LeoJBI
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Leo Hernandez

Post by LeoJBI »

Thank you for the information.

No, I am not insisted that I use my Drobo as a datastore. I just thought I had to set it up that way. In VM-speak, I understand VMDK as the optimal choice (in most conditions). However, you are saying that in Veeam, I should go with NFS? Is that the better choice?

Basically, as a NAS device?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

In your case, best would be to connect that 8TB Drobo LUN to your backup server using the Microsoft Software iSCSI initiator. Then, you will be able to pick that as the destination in the Backup Repository wizard. Thanks!